File Sharing Leopard

mday108

Registered
I have been doing file sharing between my mac and my wife's mac for years. I cannot get it to work the last few months.
Plus...I have done clean install of leopard on both macs and upgraded each Mac to 10.5.4 and still no luck.
Each time I select her computer in the side bar of a finder window...
it just times out. The same goes for her accessing me.
I never had this problem in Tiger.
Suggestion?
Thanks.

Have you replaced a router or a cables lately?

Maybe you can force each Mac to see each other by doing these steps:

1. On each Mac open system Preferences->Sharing and put a check mark in "File Sharing"

2. Staying in System Preferences go to the Preference pane Network and get the IP on each Mac.

3. Click on the desktop of each Mac.

4. From the Finder menu bar select "Go", "Connect to Server" then put in the other Mac's IP. It will help you have an account on the Mac you are connecting to.

Now I am going to suggest something to "maintain" your Macs (it is a MYTH that OS X doesn't need maintaining). That something is either Yasu or Onyx and run the all maintenance routines. After either program restarts the Mac, restart the Mac again immediately. This will built you shutdown and startup cache to make those things run faster.

Doing maintenance ever two months you will keep those Macs in tip top shape running like they are almost new. Also doing this maintenance will keep invisible services like Bonjour running.

Good Luck.

Back