File sharing

jxrod2000

Registered
Hi,

I am planning on setting up a mac os x server, but I want to understand something about file sharing first.
Lets say that I have two mac clients now, mac_a, mac_b, mac_c
mac_a has the following users
usr_1 uid=501 gid=501
usr_2 uid=1000 gid=1000

mac_b has the following users
usr_2 uid=1000 gid=1000
usr_3 uid=501 gid=501

mac_c has the follwing users
usr_3 uid=501 gid=501
usr_4 uid=502 gid=502

Now lets assume I have set up the server machine and want to add these users to the server.
The uid/gid on the server will not match the uid/gid on the client, so how will permissions be resolved when it is time to share folders.

Does the server map the incoming client user id to the server user id, changing the uid to the server uid ?

I am confused on how this would work. Can someone explain how this would work.

Thanks.

I continued to look for information on this, and found the answer, which is exactly what i do today with my linux server using NFS.
I was hopping there was a better way in MAC OS

Basically today my accounts are the same no matter which computer they are on. My account on my mac, my wife's mac, and my linux box is the same, ie the uid=2000, therefore on my linux server I created the same account with the same uid (2000), that way NFS is happy and authorization can work as designed.

I was hopping that there was a way to map uids from the client to the server, but since I want to log on from multiple computers the only way is to make sure the user name and uid are the same everywhere.

Obviously this means that if you let OS X assign the uids it is possible that even if you use the same name the uid could be different from one client to another depending on the sequence users were added, therefore you will need to change the uids so they are standard across all the local machines you can log on to if you intend to share resources.

Also I found out that if you make your account mobile on the server, you can still use your computer with local authentication outside of your network and have the home directory synchronized when you return to your own network and sign on.

I hope this helps other folks that may be looking for answers on this or at least help a little.

Hi,

I am planning on setting up a mac os x server, but I want to understand something about file sharing first.
Lets say that I have two mac clients now, mac_a, mac_b, mac_c
mac_a has the following users
usr_1 uid=501 gid=501
usr_2 uid=1000 gid=1000

mac_b has the following users
usr_2 uid=1000 gid=1000
usr_3 uid=501 gid=501

mac_c has the follwing users
usr_3 uid=501 gid=501
usr_4 uid=502 gid=502

Now lets assume I have set up the server machine and want to add these users to the server.
The uid/gid on the server will not match the uid/gid on the client, so how will permissions be resolved when it is time to share folders.

Does the server map the incoming client user id to the server user id, changing the uid to the server uid ?

I am confused on how this would work. Can someone explain how this would work.

Thanks.

I continued to look for information on this, and found the answer, which is exactly what i do today with my linux server using NFS.
I was hopping there was a better way in MAC OS

Basically today my accounts are the same no matter which computer they are on. My account on my mac, my wife's mac, and my linux box is the same, ie the uid=2000, therefore on my linux server I created the same account with the same uid (2000), that way NFS is happy and authorization can work as designed.

I was hopping that there was a way to map uids from the client to the server, but since I want to log on from multiple computers the only way is to make sure the user name and uid are the same everywhere.

Obviously this means that if you let OS X assign the uids it is possible that even if you use the same name the uid could be different from one client to another depending on the sequence users were added, therefore you will need to change the uids so they are standard across all the local machines you can log on to if you intend to share resources.

Also I found out that if you make your account mobile on the server, you can still use your computer with local authentication outside of your network and have the home directory synchronized when you return to your own network and sign on.

I hope this helps other folks that may be looking for answers on this or at least help a little.

You also should bookmark and read the blog post on AFP548 - Saving Mac IT Anytime. Also rejoice at Server 10.9 because Apple will now have SMB2 support for better multi-computer connections. This might be a good thing for OS X Server.

Back