Final Cut Express HELP (color Corrector)

callieX

Registered
I have just imported into FCE an old 8mm movie. The color is washed out, contrast and brightness are all messed up. I have FCE and want to try to use it to clean it up. The problem is I can not figure out how to apply the different filters to start the process.
I have searched the net for help and have not found much. Does anyone know a good book of FCE that would help.

Calliex

Not quite sure whether you can't find the filters (which i can help with) or tips for using them (which i can't). Apologies if you already know some of this stuff but i get the impression this is your first go. I learned on FCP but FCE is just the same for this- i checked.

To apply a filter:
So you've imported your movie, and it should be
listed in the browser window (by default the top right window i believe. So drag your movie into the timeline (bottom window) where it should appear as a long block. Next double click on the movie block in the timeline, and it will open that movie in the viewer wind (top left). In the viewer window, select the "filters" tab at the top of the window, and it will turn into a list with two items in it , video and audio filters. Now, in the browser window where the imported items are stored, select the small "effects" tab at the top. Look through the list for what you are after (i guess mostly this will be video filters>color correction).

Drag the filter you want over to the viewer window and let go. It will appear in the "video filters" list there, and below it should appear a whole load of options. Notice as you do this that a red bar appears above your movie on the timeline. Alter the settings of your chosen filter to what ou want. To see the effects, select your movie in the timeline by clicking on it. Now, that red bar which appeared earlier means that the video has to be rendered (to apply your chosen effects) before you can view it. To render it press apple-R and a progress bar will appear. Once the render is finished, you can play the movie either through the time (click at the start of the movie and press space) or in the viewer window by selecting the "video tab" and using the control buttons at the bottom of the little video screen.

Now, if your movie is of any length then rendering may take ages, and given you'll probably have to experiment with the filter settings to get what you want, it may be better to work on a small segment instead. To do this first look through the movie till you get a short representative segment, then select the razor blade tool from the toolbox at the bottom right (4th from bottom, or alternatively just press 'b' on your keyboard).

With the razor blade tool click on your movie in the timeline at either end of your test sequence- you'll see black lines appear, and you'll be left with three blocks in the timeline- 2 longs ones either side of your test sequence. Go back to the select tool (top in toolbox or letter a ) and click on the long bit before your test sequence and press delete. Do the same with the one after. Now double click on the test sequence to open it in the viewer and do as i already explained. Once you're done, note down your chosen settings, delete the test sequence and drag the whole movie into the timeline again from the browser window. Apply, render and voila!

Wow that was longer than i expected. Afraid i can't really recommend books as i learned Final Cut Pro from an editor rather than a book , then just fiddled around once i had the basics. I'm sure other will have more suggestions.

great explanation ora!

gotta agree with callieX - there seems to be very few resources (msg boards, personal sites, etc) for FCE/FCP on the web.
I was thinking recently of starting a blog of my FCE/FCP ventures, and leaving tips, and asking for help. figure a blog would be a small way to start a decent interaction with other FCE/FCP users.
needs to be some kind of central help for these awesome apps!

ora said:
Not quite sure whether you can't find the filters (which i can help with) or tips for using them (which i can't). Apologies if you already know some of this stuff but i get the impression this is your first go. I learned on FCP but FCE is just the same for this- i checked.

Thanks for the informative reply. That should get me started. This project is sort of leap for me. I have about 25 minutes of video that was made from an old 8mm movie my uncle made 45 years ago. As you can imagine the quality goes from great to unwatchable. I want to try and revive as much as can. Me using FCE is like a non artist tying to draw with Adobe Illustrator. I great tool is no substitute for talent.

I have seen alot books on the subject I was looking for a recommendation from a novice like me. My house is littered with books that I thought would be good.

I noticed you get courses on FCE in some parts of the country, but not in mine. We are getting a Apple store here in Pittsburgh in Aug 28 I am hoping the Genius bar will be a source of help.

quicksan- thanks! I'd happily contribute my knowledge (though its quite basic) to a blog/board if you were to start one. I first had a look at editing on Avid, and has all the weird windows explained to me, hence when i began learning FCP, with an editor friend and later for my masters, i had a bit of a headstart.

I think the first barrier is (like i alluded to) working out all the windows, and i think this is inflenced by avid, which in itself is supposed to be like editing real film with blades and tape. This makes for programs which don't make much sense at first. Logic Audio is the same, based on using real audio equipment and hence confusing for new users. After spending weeks editing my first documentary i had the basics down but little deep knowledge- a far steeper learning curve than most apps i've used.

Maybe as a halfway house you could start a how-to here, I'd happily add some basic info, keyboard shortcuts etc.

CallieX:
A few little extras

Your project.
My advice. Import it, use the razor blade to cut into individual shots- allowing you to change color on each one separately.

Basic keyboard shortcuts:
j = rewind
k = play/pause
l = fast forward

left and right arrow moves 1 frame at a time

n = toggles snapping: when the cursor jumps to start/end points in the timeline. You have to toggle this off for fine selections

option-R = links objects- for making tools work on both L+R audio at once- little triangles on the object show when its done

apple-R = render

shift-R = Toggle object linking: allows video and audio to be moved separately. Useful but confusing if you turn it off then forget.

b = razor blade tool: cut one object (press b twice for blade to cut all objects)

enough of them for now- lots more but are for stuff i haven't explained

Good luck

i guess I should be clear too - I can do some stuff in FCP/E pretty well, but it's mostly basics.
my idea is to leverage the little bit I know, and have a place where comments/discussion can be left, that everyone (including myself) can benefit from.

I think a FCP/E specific thread on this board would be a fantastic starting place, but think that the Mods would see it as being a little too specific - who knows.

if I sling anything together, I'll msg you and a few others and let you know. Don't know that I could post it in a thread, as it may be misconstrued as advertising (spam) my own site...
anyway, I'm OT enough at this point, so I'll quit the subject now...with this last note:
If anyone knows of FCP/E or DV Editing Msg Boards out there that are useful, and populated, let us know! thx

hope your movie turns out CallieX!

Back