Final Cut Pro 4, DVD Studio Pro 2 and Shake 3

score one for the rumormongers!
woooooo... I wonder if this will really mean much in the long run though. Anyone a video professional who works with mac's? I know they made LOTR with shake, but not exclusively on macs. Will the new releases make mac the ultimate video editing/production platform?

Why does Shake cost around $5000?? I don't know the program, i don't know what it does, but... Wow! Most expensive software i've ever seen! (it's even $9000 for Linux/Irix!)

They say that DVD Studio Pro will be available in August, Shake will be available but with no date and Final Cut Pro seems to be the only ready product for now...

For hardware I can remember Apple saying that "will be available x date" but for software to give such a big period of pre-release info... Strange!

And these are not OSes, these are apps and very important ones! Very strange indeed... :confused:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by senne
Why does Shake cost around $5000?? I don't know the program, i don't know what it does, but... Wow! Most expensive software i've ever seen! (it's even $9000 for Linux/Irix!)

...if you have seen LOTR surely you have notice that Elf people have a glow not only around them but from inside their form too! They made this Visual Effect, if I'm not mistaken, with Shake...

Also, according to Apple here:
- http://www.apple.com/shake/stories/lotr/
and here:
- http://www.apple.com/shake/stories/

MANY companies use Shake to create MANY nowadays films ;) :D

Yeah...Apple aquired Nothing Real (makers of shake), Silicon Grail (makers of chalice and rayz) and a couple other companies. The new features look great!

FCP looks great, and the apps that come with it make it even much more a need to have app for the video pro. Shake is too costly for me, so I guess I'm stuck with After Effects for now.

Originally posted by hulkaros
For hardware I can remember Apple saying that "will be available x date" but for software to give such a big period of pre-release info... Strange!

And these are not OSes, these are apps and very important ones! Very strange indeed... :confused:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Apple has an interest to inform the movie people about those releases even if they're not yet readily available. Remember: This isn't 129$ software... There's budgets to be calculated. ;)

Ok, so I bought the educational version of FCP3 2 weeks ago, but didn't open it when I heard about FCP 4. I paid $299.99 from Apple.com, which is the normal edu pricing on there. Now, FCP4 comes out at $499.99 for edu?!

Whoa! Think different from what my wallet wanted to hear!

This really pisses me off, first, they make the full academic version of FCP4 $200 more than 3, and they give no academic savings on the upgrade, making it $100 more than the full academic version of 3! What is this?!?

Wow, I love the Blue / Grey interface on DVD Studio Pro 2...

Is that what 10.3 will have? I hope so.

What does strike me though is that all 4 applications have different interfaces.

Looks like it'll have Adobe Encore running for its ass before Adobe get it on the shelf! And Apple is cheaper too. I thought Adobe might have Apple running but this new version looks like the business. Apple are really doing great stuff at a really aggressive pace.

Every media professional has to get this stuff.

I wish I could afford it on my student budget!

Originally posted by Go3iverson
Ok, so I bought the educational version of FCP3 2 weeks ago, but didn't open it when I heard about FCP 4. I paid $299.99 from Apple.com, which is the normal edu pricing on there. Now, FCP4 comes out at $499.99 for edu?!

Whoa! Think different from what my wallet wanted to hear!

Apple has added Cinema Tools (which used to sell for 1K) into FCP

Also....compressor....

also....audio mixer....

also...titling tools

With theses things add up the app can easily costs over 3 grand!

I know it's a bummer that the edu price has gone up...but think about those new stuffs......

anyone who wants a great non-linear system for cheap can buy final cut express, which will do evverything for a simple project. and they still find some way to squeeze all those features into a 1000 dollar package. way to go apple!

I've got to agree with that. FCP 4 is excellent value. And DVDSP looks 1000x better than version 1.5. Templates rule when it comes to DVD making.

I'd guess that DVD Studio Pro could be as useful as Macromedia Director as a presentation medium since you can give DVD-Rs to almost anybody with a TV/DVD but only people with Mac/PCs can be given Director CDs. Especially good for portfolio work with Higher Resolution materials than iDVD can handle - and that'd do for most things anyway!

Apple has some of the best software ever made. Way to go!

I wonder if these updates will work best with the *new* IBM 970's? August may be about right for evertying to gel. Delayed WDC, August video programs,.... Hmmm, you gotta wonder.

That lineup is phenomenal.

Som comments:

The interfaces are different because each app was originally from another source. I'm sure they just haven't had the time or inclination to make them all exactly alike.

FCP has gone from great to greater. And all the bonus apps. Holy criznap.

DVDSP2. Finally. On screen it finally looks like the app it was supposed to be. Drool.

Shake. Cool. I wish I could justify the price. Price is so high because the audience is so niche and can afford it. The alternate OS versions are priced even higher clearly as an attempt to sway buyers into buying G4s running OS X. The free inifinite render licenses are very smart. And Rendezvous render node detection...sheesh, I wish everything were that smart. Have you ever tried to set up a render farm in Lightwave? It's a pain in the arse.

Must have all these apps now.

The line up on Apple's home page right goes in price from lowest to highest. $500 DVD Studio, $1000 FCP, $5000 Shake. Are they limiting their pricing to plain roman numerals? And what is 5000 in Roman Numerals anyway?

D = 500, M = 1000, ? = 5000.

The Shake product also fills the 10,000 niche if you buy it for linux/irix. :) I'm glad their hardware prices aren't limited to roman numerals. :)

Back