Final Thoughts on iTunes 4?

Those are some really great ideas guys. As for the password at the buy button... I would not like that. I just make sure that I ALWAYS sign out when when I am not at my computer. So my roomie does not go buy crazy.

Matthew

Originally posted by gwynarion
I spent $27.00 last night on two albums and other assorted songs that would have taken hours and hours of download time, not to mention the weeks of just looking for all the pieces. It all downloaded in less than 15 minutes. The quality was beautiful. Way to go Apple!

There is one feature that I would very much like to see added. I noticed that there is no way to collect a list of music that you want to buy but do not want to buy all at one time. You can put things in your shopping cart but you can't choose to only buy parts of it. So what I would like to see is either a separate "wish list" feature or something like check boxes in the shopping cart with an option to "buy checked items"...

No doubt about the length of time aspect, my time is too valuable to me to spend hours on end searching for music.

I like your wish list suggestion! Doesn't amazon.com offer something like that?

[PRO]
- Faster
- Share music streams

[CON]
Apart from the fact I find this illustration tag completely useless (as iTunes 99.9% runs in background), those little remarks:

- Hm... you still can't demetallifize iTunes ;)
- A tracker for streaming music IPs would be welcome :p
- As I already said, the iTunes top window toolbar wastes space: look at the size of the Find bar, and look at the unused space between the controls and the song info screen... :(

One thing I thought they'd add in this version, would be the option to d/l the IDtags from a server automatically.

Instead of doing it manually. Or, am I doing it wrong? :-<

Originally posted by Ugg
No doubt about the length of time aspect, my time is too valuable to me to spend hours on end searching for music.
And we never have to worry about Apple turning off their servers when we are half way through with a download.

I like your wish list suggestion! Doesn't amazon.com offer something like that?
Amazon has a wishlist feature, as do many other online merchants. The power of these is that it allows other people to buy things for you that you have pre-selected. I'm not saying Apple should do this, though it is an idea with possibilities. But the Amazon wishlists are not technically for keeping track of things you want to buy, even if many people use them that way.

Pro: Ease of use, quality and speed of the downloads. Buy only certain songs I like rather than the whole CD

Con: Easy, to easy to use and spend money.

Originally posted by OmegaMan
One thing I thought they'd add in this version, would be the option to d/l the IDtags from a server automatically.

Instead of doing it manually. Or, am I doing it wrong? :-<

Insert your CD, if connected to the Web, iTunes will immediately ask cddb.com for the tags.
NB: you need to insert a CD first, downloading from x or y won't suffice to get your tags done :)

dave17lax & Rhino_G3

You can add album art to multiple songs, its easy. Just do this. Go to your iTunes Library and click the "Browse" button. Find the artist and then the album. While you have the ablum selected, do a get info (command-i). It will ask you if you want to change all tracks in this album, say yes. Then you'll see an area for album art, just drag and drop your art here. In fact, you can drag and drop directly from Safari. This is useful if you go to Amazon or other places where you can view the ablum art, then just drag and drop. Now it will apply the art to all the tracks in that album.

iTunes 4 is great! I finally got iTunes to share music between the various computers in the house. First, all computers should be on the same network and the same subnet(1). When I told the desktop computer to use the DHCP connection provided by the Airport (via EtherNet), everything worked properly.

My roommate was also able to access my desktop's music library, as I was able to access his. It got interesting when he tried to play music that I had purchased from the Apple Music Store. I would have to "Authorize" his computer with my account information to allow this. Well, I already authorized the 3 computers Apple allows... my laptop, my desktop, and my server.

I can understand why Apple won't and should not allow you to copy music between computers but I would think if I just wanted to allow someone to listen to the music I purchased legally, *just listen to it*, I should be able to. In order to make the music I purchased available via iTunes I had to burn a CD, then re-rip it.

If people who are able to access your iTunes music library over the network are allowed to play the music you purchased from Apple, it will cut down on piracy.

I think that playing the music on three computers while sitting in front of them seems to be entirely reasonable, but at the same time I would like to have something of a different level or type for streaming. There are at least five or six computers that I work on with enough frequency that I would like to be able to listen to my full library on them as well. Having some sort of sub-license for streaming would be very nice.

Originally posted by pwharff
dave17lax & Rhino_G3

You can add album art to multiple songs, its easy. Just do this. Go to your iTunes Library and click the "Browse" button. Find the artist and then the album. While you have the ablum selected, do a get info (command-i). It will ask you if you want to change all tracks in this album, say yes. Then you'll see an area for album art, just drag and drop your art here. In fact, you can drag and drop directly from Safari. This is useful if you go to Amazon or other places where you can view the ablum art, then just drag and drop. Now it will apply the art to all the tracks in that album.

Yes, this is true. What I, and I believe Dave17lax, was having trouble with was that iTunes actualy will hold many images of album art. even though it doesn't tell you this. I had used the wrong picture and then tried replacing it by draging in another. Instead of replacing it, it added the picture to the album as a second picture, still showing the original picture I added.
What would have been nice is the knowledge that this feature was available.

Back