Finally! Fast PowerLogix upgrades!

ksuther

Registered
PowerLogix Announces 1GHz CPU Upgrades for G4 Towers and Cubes - (from their email press release)

"POWERLOGIX ANNOUNCES WORLD'S FASTEST POWERMAC UPGRADES

AUSTIN, TEXAS -- June 12, 2002 -- PowerLogix today announced the fastest ever processor cards for PowerMac G4s. The new PowerForce G4 Series 100 and Series 133 processor upgrades will be available in speeds ranging from 750Mhz to 1GHz.

With the new PowerForce G4, PowerLogix continues its tradition of leading the market in new upgrade card designs. These are the first and only upgrade cards to use the latest technology from Motorola--the G4/7455 processor, code named "Apollo."

"We are excited to be the first manufacturer to market upgrades with speeds up to one gigaHertz," said Robert Jagitsch, President. "Adding a PowerForce G4 card can provide performance surpassing a new machine for a lot less money."

The Apollo has four integer execution units, one double precision FPU, and four 128-bit AltiVec execution units. It also has a 256KB on-chip L1 cache running at full processor speed. The PowerForce G4 will be available with varying amounts of L3 cache.

The PowerForce G4 processor upgrade simply replaces the stock processor card. The user removes the original processor card and installs the PowerForce G4 card in its place. It installs easily in just a few minutes by following the included instructions.

The PowerForce G4 Series 100 upgrade cards are compatible with the following PowerMac G4s running at 100 MHz bus:

Model Original Clock Speed
PowerMac G4 'AGP Graphics' 350, 400, 450 MHz
PowerMac G4 'Gigabit Ethernet' Single 400, Dual 450 or 500 MHz
PowerMac G4 Cube 450, 500 MHz

The PowerForce G4 Series 133 upgrade cards are compatible with PowerMac G4s running at 133 MHz bus:

Model Original Clock Speed
PowerMac G4 'Digital Audio' 466, 533, 667, 733, Dual 533MHz
PowerMac G4 'QuickSilver' 733, 867, Dual 800 MHz
PowerMac G4 'QuickSilver 2002' 800, 933, Dual 1GHz

Note: We recommend the PowerForce G4 ZIF 550 for use with the PowerMac G4 'PCI Graphics'.

Availability: PowerForce G4 Series 100 will be available in July. PowerForce G4 Series 133 will be available in August. We expect very high demand for these cards so we recommend resellers place advance orders with our distributor, Waypoint Distribution.

Pricing: Retail prices range from $449 to $749. Complete ordering SKUs will be available shortly on our website and through Waypoint Distribution. "

Stolen from www.xlr8yourmac.com :)

Looks like finally people will be able to get another year or so out of their machines before having to get a new one!

Gasp! :eek:
Dual 1Ghz with tons of Level 3 Chache ova here please! :D

This is what I've been waiting for... altho I have no speed problems at all from my Mac, I just started getting this sinking feeling that my powerhouse was finally starting to get out-runned.

Donno if I'll buy the upgrade tho, since I really don't feel I have a speed problem on this machine, and since I'm planning on my next Mac purchase to either be a DDR System (when they come out), or one of the Books (i/Ti Book).

We'll see how my finances are by the time they are released. But I'd only be interested if they release a Dual 1Ghz or better upgrade! If not forget it! :p :) :D

urrrrg !!!! if only i could have a better upgrade...... sense im on a 100 mhz bus i dont think ill be able to get the dual 1ghz... damn it to hell. oh well, they will most likely have the dual 800 option with lvl3 cache would be very nice, i dont think the dual 500 gigabit ethernet has lvl3 cache

does anybody know if the gigabit g4's have lvl3 cache and if so how much?

satanicpoptart,
Sorry but I doubt it - my computer is the next step up from the Gigabit Ethernet (Digital Audio Dual 533), and it does not have Level 3 Chache...

So the Dual 500s are on 100mhz bus? Odd, I always thought they where 133mhz...

Either way I'm sure the upgrade card will have Level 3 Cache (if offered) built into them so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I don't know if the upgrade cards for 100mhz system busses would have level 3 cache tho... hmmm...

Back