Finder/Connect to Server problem

xpete

Registered
I had a problem crop up yesterday and I haven't been able to make it go away. Now, when I click on the Finder icon in the Dock, instead of a Finder window, I get a Connect To Server dialog box. It was as if I had double-clicked on a alias for something on a server I'm not connected to: it came up for a particular server in our building with my username filled in and was waiting for a password. The dialog box won't work though--can't use it to connect and can't close it. If I interact with it in any way, I get the spinning beachball of death.

This behavior doesn't persist across users. I tried trashing the com.apple.finder.plist file without success. I tried turning off haxies and removing everything from my login items. I even dared to peer in and edit out a line from my finder.plist file:

<key>FXConnectToLastURL</key>
<string>afp://[valid local IP address here]/</string>

...which seemed to fix the problem. But when I logged out and back in to this user, the behavior was recreated and the line added back in to the plist file.

Another odd thing: If I pick Connect To Server from the Go menu and actually connect to our server BEFORE trying to open a Finder window, everything is fine; I can connect fine, the Finder opens upon connection, and as long as I STAY connected, the Finder works. But if I log off and try to call up a Finder window, bingo--the problem resurfaces.

Any ideas what could have caused this or how to make it stop?

BTW: Indigo iMac 500, 10.3.2, 320MB RAM.

Thanks. --Pete (that's my home computer, below)

Did you, perhaps, add that server to your Favorites? Or maybe somehow dragged the server share into the "shelf" thing on the left-hand side of the Finder window?

If you connect to the server, then open a new Finder window, then eject/remove all occurrences of the server share from the shelf at the left-hand side of the Finder window, perhaps that would help.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Did you, perhaps, add that server to your Favorites? Or maybe somehow dragged the server share into the "shelf" thing on the left-hand side of the Finder window?

If you connect to the server, then open a new Finder window, then eject/remove all occurrences of the server share from the shelf at the left-hand side of the Finder window, perhaps that would help.

That was it. Thanks!

I had cleverly added a folder that I frequent on the server to the Finder sidebar. The problem didn't crop up until I logged off and logged back in as that user. And it only crops up if I try to open a Finder window BEFORE connecting separately to the server.

It almost works, but not quite. It's nice that it pops up the dialog box, but it's too bad it doesn't work--forces me to Force Quit the Finder and log out of the user to escape.

--Pete

Back