Finder crashes when emptying trash / Trash doesn't empty (10.3.9)

borlag

Registered
Power PC G4 / OSX10.3.9 / 800 MHz / 1.25 Gig Ram / 40 Gig HD

• Basically, when I attempt to empty the trash, the finder crashes (all desktop icons disappear and then reappear) and the trash does not empty.
• It's not an option-key / locked file thing. I've been able to empty the trash regularily in the time being with the 'SuperEmptyTrash' app. I also tried the 'TrashIt!' app, but that does not work, though after I run TrashIt I am able to empty the trash once normally.
• I cannot open the Trash to view the contents by clicking on the Trash icon, though I can see the contents in the .Trash folder in my finder, and can move them in and out.
• This all came about after I noticed a couple of image files for a design I was working on became corrupted unexpectedly. I backed up my work and shut down for the day. The next day, I got kernel panic on boot up - several times - and was only able to make it to the finder up once I unplugged the network cable. Once at the finder, my machine would freeze. I finally safe booted, made it to the desktop, restarted and have been able to use my machine normally (except for the trash thing) all this week. I also started up in single-user mode, ran fsck, found two 'overlapped extent allocation' errors (two files in the same folder as the two corrupted ones), I deleted the overlapping files, and fsck doesn't report any more errors. The only other weird/coincidental thing I've noticed is that Cyberduck no longer works.
• Repairing disk permissions always returns this:
Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays. New permissions are 16893
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/ColorSync/Profiles. New permissions are 16893
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/jobs. New uid is 1
We are using a special uid for the file or directory ./private/var/at/spool. New uid is 1
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
Permissions repair complete
• I also created a new user acct, and it also has the same trash problem.

• That's about it, if anyone has any ideas, much appreciated.

Repairing the disk permissions was a good move. I wouldn't worry about the messages it displayed. The more important thing to do as well if you haven't yet is to use the "Verify Disk" button, and if it reports any errors then for sure use the "Repair Disk" button -- both of which you will find in the same Disk Utility window where you found the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. Note that you can use the "Verify Disk" button without rebooting, however you'll need to boot your Mac from a different disk, or from the MacOS X Install CD (then quit the installer and select the Disk Utility from the menu bar) in order to use the "Repair Disk" button on the drive you are currently booting from.

If Verify Disk finds no problems, we'll need to consider using a bigger hammer. If Verify Disk does find problems, run Repair Disk twice. Once to repair the problems, and a second time to make sure it really did solve the problems and doesn't find any more. If Repair Disk fails to repair your disk, you'll need Alsoft's fine Disk Warrior program.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply - I'm having problems running the Verify disc from boot up - my main CD/DVD drive isn't working, so I've been using a peripheral - thing is when I reinstall/restart from the MacOSX disc, my machine just does a normal reboot because I don't think it's reading the peripheral drive once it restarts.

Thanks for the reply - I'm having problems running the Verify disc from boot up - my main CD/DVD drive isn't working, so I've been using a peripheral - thing is when I reinstall/restart from the MacOSX disc, my machine just does a normal reboot because I don't think it's reading the peripheral drive once it restarts.

Restart holding down the Shift key. This will enable what is known as a "Safe Boot" and Repair Disk will be run in the background without the need for a CD/DVD.

See:
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
Item #5
for more information.

Cool thanks, I didn't know safe-booting ran Repair Disk. I've done that, and still have the Trash/Finder Crash issue, unfortunately.

Good suggestion. However running repair disk "in the background" doesn't let you see the result of running the repair disk function. You might try booting your computer while holding down the "C" key to force it to boot from CD-Rom.

If that still fails, and you think it's the CD that's bad, I'd encourage you to find another -- perhaps borrow one from a friend. If you believe the CD drive is not working, you might be able to boot from an external Hard Drive with a bootable version of MacOS X installed, or from another mac running in "Target Disk" emulator mode connected by firewire cable (boot it holding down "T").

If all of those fail or are not viable options for you to try, I'd encourage you to get it to an Apple store for a Mac Genius to try -- who will certainly have those options available. Alternatively, if it's still under warranty or apple care it might be time to contact Apple. Having a mac you can't boot from some source other than the internal drive is a problem that will bite you big sooner or later if you don't find a way to correct the problem while you still can.

Thanks Roph - great tip. I was able to fire up in Target Disk mode, and hooked up to a workmate's machine. We ran verify disk on it and:
Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.
Mounting Disk

1 HFS volume checked
Volume passed verification

So it appears the HD is ok.

Pretty stumped here.

Force the trash to empty by trying these steps found here:

Force the Trash to empty using the Option key

This technique uses a hidden feature of Mac OS X to force the Trash to empty. Perform the following steps in the order specified:

1.Press and hold the mouse button on the Trash icon in the Dock. The context menu for Trash will display.

2.Press and hold the Option key.

3. Select Empty Trash from the context menu for Trash.

4. Release the Option key.

I suspect that the file that you are trying to trash is corrupted and has a busy flag set.

The easiest thing to do would be to startup from another volume and then to trash the file.

I appreciate all the advice, but, just for clarification, it's not a file or files "stuck" in the trash. I've been able to empty the trash using 3rd party software (TrashIt! and SuperEmptyTrash), and through the terminal.

The problems are:
1. Clicking on the Trash icon in the dock does not open it
2. 'Empty Trash' command on the Trash Icon in the dock does nothing at all (with 'option' held as well)
3. Empty Trash through the Finder menu appears to work, but the Finder crashes, and the Full Trash Icon in the dock reappears (same with Secure Empty Trash, and with the 'option' key as well.) Contents are not deleted.
4. Using TrashIt!, the trash doesn't get emptied, but after I run TrashIt! I am able to empty the trash once through the Finder menu (Finder still crashes, but trash gets emptied)
5. Using SuperEmptyTrash works, and the finder does not crash. (I just have to enter my admin password for every file in the trash, so I've been using TrashIt!)
6. Emptying trash through the terminal works, no finder crash but the Trash Icon still appears full in the dock until I check the .Trash folder (I have it in my sidebar) and then the icon refreshes to empty.

Last edited:
My thoughts are:

It is obviously a system-wide problem, because the problem doesn't go away when you reboot into another user account.

There seems to be something intrinsically wrong with how your system software is handling the trash process.

Thankfully, you aren't using Snow Leopard, so you have the option of simply doing an Archive and Install to install a fresh copy of all of your system software, which is what I recommend that you try:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710

To do this you would normally have to have a working optical drive. I can't tell you if it can be done in Target Disk Mode, I've never tried it that way.

Back