Finder Folder and File symbols (Forbidden)

paulfwb

Registered
Today, I noticed that some folders and files have a forbidden symbol next to them. There is some, unhelpful pop-up text that says, "Error" but no more indication to what the symbol is referring. The folders and files seem to be totally normal.

Any ideas?

That's not a forbidden symbol (which would be a diagonal line from lower left to upper right, but not an "X".
The X would simply mean that there is some kind of error, which is what the pop-up also tells you.
It's probably some kind of permissions setting.
Does the system allow you to copy either of those complete folders, with included files, to another location on your drive (or to an external drive)?

Thanks,DeltaMac,
I saw the „Error“ message, which could be more helpful. This is all in the internal drive.
I have great trouble with attributing the issue to a specific component.
I’ll scan the system logs. Maybe there will a clue there.

That's not a forbidden symbol (which would be a diagonal line from lower left to upper right, but not an "X".
The X would simply mean that there is some kind of error, which is what the pop-up also tells you.
It's probably some kind of permissions setting.
Does the system allow you to copy either of those complete folders, with included files, to another location on your drive (or to an external drive)?

Yes...
I completely agree that you would have a lot of difficulty with believing this is a problem in some component --- it would be a system software issue, and highly unlikely to be any kind of hardware fault.
I asked about copying the folder to another drive to see if that "X" disappears from the copied folder in its new location - or, if your system won't allow the folders to be copied at all.

Can you tell me exactly where those "X"-ed folders are located? Are they possibly at the root level of your drive (and not in your user folder, for example)?

Which Mac model do you have, and which version of macOS do you currently have installed?

Finally, do you have any kind of "finder replacement" software installed, such as Pathfinder, or some other app that allows you to change how files are displayed, sorted or manipulated?
Reason I ask that, as I am not familiar with any standard part of the finder that positions an "X" in that position, so I am thinking it might be some third-party software that you might have installed on your system to allow you to modify how the system works with files. Pathfinder is an example of such software.

Back