Finder FTP... does it work yet?

TommyWillB

Registered
I've been saying since day one that Apple needs to build FTP in as a native function of the Finder...

The OS X 10.2.3 release notes mentioned that they were adding this for the Japanese version, so I figured they'd done it when I was not looking.

I went to the the Go > Connect To Server... menu and finally got it to connect using this syntax:
Code:
ftp://www.(mysite).com/(initial)/(directory)/
All of the files on my Web site then appeared as a volume on my desktop.

I was really excited until I realized that it had mounted this Read Only.

Am I doing something wrong? What good is a read only connection?

Tommy, I don't have the update installed yet so I cannot check this suggestion.... but try this:

ftp://username:password@www.mysite.com/initial/directory

Sounds like you're connecting as a guest.

Of course, if you are asked for a username and password after initial connection, then my theory is incorrect.

It actually did ask for my username/password. (There is no guest access allowed.)

In any case adding that to the URL made no difference... It is still read only.

Does it matter that the Web server is Windows 2000? (FTP is quite generic and this works fine from BBEdit and Fetch, so it sure seems like a Finder issue.)

I don't think the Windows 2000 server part matters. I just tried it with the company that hosts my site and got the same behavior and they run a pure UNIX setup. Again, I think Apple has let us down again on this one. I really felt like full ftp access should be part of the Finder, too. I tried changing my firewall settings and Proxy settings (enabling passive mode). All settings give the same result of mounting server Read Only. :( Oh well, Guess we'll be waiting some more.

I just sent Apple Feedback on this "bug"...

I've done this before, but I guess it was time to do it again...

If anyone here has made this work, then please let us know!

I just use Rbrowser which allows read and write access via a NeXT-like file browser. If you don't care about SSH you can get the free Rbrowser Lite version.

Glad to hear that it's just not me experiencing this problem. I don't know how often I have tried to connect to an FTP site via Apple-K. I always entered the username and password information correctly but I STILL can't access any of my files.

How can something simple be sooooo difficult for Apple in its fourth (?) update?

G

I am experiencing the same behavior using 10.2.6.
Also, some of my folders do not even allow me to read the files in them. If I login to the same server with Transmit using the same username and pass. I get everything as it should be. Apple needs to address this. FTP via the finder is long overdue.

I believe the FTP functionality built into the Finder is read-only, period.

I think to get read/write access you need to use a 3rd party FTP client, like Fetch or Transmit.

>I believe the FTP functionality built into the Finder is read-only, period.

Right, but should it stay this way? Certainly not.

Yes, FTP functionality in Jag is read only. The dev version of Panther is also read only as of right now. I have faith that they will make it full blown read / write for the final version of panther.

Originally posted by Fahrvergnuugen
Yes, FTP functionality in Jag is read only. The dev version of Panther is also read only as of right now. I have faith that they will make it full blown read / write for the final version of panther.
Is that faith based on any knowledge?

I had faith that they'd do this is 10.0.1... but I was wrong to beleive based on nothing...

Back