Finder Keeps Bringing Itself to Front

pgershon

Registered
OS X 10.4.2, Mac G5

Tonight, my finder automatically brings itself to the front every minute or so, interrupting everything I am doing and opening closed wondows. Its quite disruptive. I've never seen anything like it in all my Mac days.

How do I kill this spontaneously generated function of the finder?

Thanks,

Paul

pgershon said:
OS X 10.4.2, Mac G5

Tonight, my finder automatically brings itself to the front every minute or so, interrupting everything I am doing and opening closed wondows. Its quite disruptive. I've never seen anything like it in all my Mac days.

How do I kill this spontaneously generated function of the finder?

Thanks,

Paul

I just did my latest updates to my G4 iBook and it is doing the same thing. I don't get it at all. Let me know what you find out please cause I want to find out and fix it :)

yes, the stuffit 9.0 magic menu had spontaneously started causing the finder to crash every 90 seconds. I forget exactly what I did, but I started by logging in as a different user and that was OK, so it was something to do with my own account. I looked in the activity monitor to see what was running immediately after bootup. There were some stuffit things in there so I quit those processees, and it cured the problem. Then I trashed everything stuffit from the startup items folder, then I restarted, and found items replaced in the startup folder, then I trashed everything that said "magicMenu" from the disk and emptied the trash, at which point it behaved. A week or two later I noticed the magic menu had returned. God knows why, but the finder was stable.

Does that help?

As you see, nobody here had a clue :)

I'm having the same problem (Finder spontaneously brings itself to the front, spontaneously opens window /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS). I uninstalled Stuffit Deluxe 10 (using the installer's uninstall feature), restarted my Mac (10.4.4), discovered that "Stuffit Engine" was still lurking in /System Folder/Extensions, removed that, rebooted again and. . .

the problem was not resolved.

I also installed a new hard disk, did a fresh operating system install, told the new OSX to migrate all my stuff from the old hard disk, and: the problem migrated to the new hard disk.

OK, I figured it out. It's a corrupted preference file: com.apple.systemuiserver.plist. Delete that, and the problem was resolved.

Back