Finder List view with Preview Column??

placey

Registered
Does anyone know of a way to display the Preview Column, like you get in the Column view, when in List view? I generally prefer viewing my files in List view since I can see all of the file details (mainly size and modified date/time), but I really like having the Preview column available to get a quick preview of my file contents. Here's a mock-up of what I am wanting:

View attachment 8380

I know Quick Look is available, but I work a lot with audio files and Quick Look exits as soon as you switch to another window. I would want the audio to keep playing, for example, while I switched to TextEdit to make notes.

Does anyone know of a way (even via plug-in) to make Finder work like this? The option, within Column view, is called "Show preview column", but isn't available in any other view. I'd even take the ability to add multiple file attribute columns (Name, Modified Date, Size) to column view, if that was possible.

I'm running OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion.

Thanks in advance.
Paul

An alternate quick method is to select the file, then press Command-I, which brings up the info window for the file. Most users call that the Get Info window.
Go to the Preview section of that Info window, and (for an audio file that is natively supported by the system), you can just click the play arrow to start the file playing. It will continue playing, until you close that info window, or when the file finishes playing. I have an audio file playing like that right now, while I type this response.
And, you can see all the various dates, and file size, etc - all in that same info window.

An alternate quick method is to select the file, then press Command-I, which brings up the info window for the file. Most users call that the Get Info window.
Go to the Preview section of that Info window, and (for an audio file that is natively supported by the system), you can just click the play arrow to start the file playing. It will continue playing, until you close that info window, or when the file finishes playing. I have an audio file playing like that right now, while I type this response.
And, you can see all the various dates, and file size, etc - all in that same info window.

Good call! I had totally forgotten about the Info window. I had used that a few months ago when editing some audiobook metadata. Thanks for the tip. Would prefer the tight Preview Panel integration with list view, but this will be a decent workaround. Thanks again.

Back