Finder problem!

karden

Registered
my finder got problems after i have updated some software this afternoon. That is from the mac auto updater, i have updated itunes, Safari(i don't really use it), Quicktime, after that my firefox run updated too(don't know why, but it is not the main problem).

After finished the updated, the finder reload itself every 2 minutes! and no matter what application i am using, it will jump to the finder, like i am typing this thread, it will automatically jump to the finder every 2 mins., then i can't type anything after that.

This condition serious occurs when i opened the finder window. I was just checking my files, it will even turn off my finder window! Then reload the desktop for once( every 2 mins.!)
I suspect the problem because the updated item have been crash to some of my files, so i uninstalled(deleted) those items(itunes, safari,quicktime) then restart, but seems useless....

Anyone did experience this? Many thanks if there's a solution....

(my OS version is OSX 10.4.11)

i've got a couple of computers in my office that started with this problem a couple of weeks ago. its definitely stuffit. check your system preferences and disable stuffit (in the "other" section)

mac os 10.4.11- also have a finder problem- takes over periodically of it's own accord.
deleted finder pref & sidebar pref.
no help
deleted all but latest stuffit.
no help.
any suggestions???????

TURNING OFF STUFFIT AVR SYSTEM PREFERENCE FOR ARCHIVE RENAMING
FIXED MY FINDER PROBLEM. The finder seems to be trying to rename certain files with suffixes that Stuffit may or may not recognize.

I had the exact same problem after a security update to 10.4.11. Other forums said to uninstall Stuffit 8 but I couldn't track down all the pieces spread throughout the OS and it kept happening. As soon as I turned off Stuffit AVR the problem was solved. Much better solution than throwing my iMac out the window. Thanks!

I'd say yes, it's quite certainly the better solution. Isn't there an update to StuffIt that would solve the problem as well? Are _they_ aware of the problem?

Thanks. This just happened to me and I thought I was going to have to reinstall the system software. Turning the Stuffit AVR off did the trick.

I had much the same symptoms: I installed updates (kind of a lot, it seems there's never a good time to stop what I'm doing...), and after rebooting and logging in, the Finder crashed over and over. A second account didn't have any problems, and the first account was fine after a Safe Boot.

I downloaded Cocktail and did a deep purge of my cache files (as the affected account, in Safe Boot mode) and now all is fine.

Just wanted to say thank you for advice on this problem.

System Preferences > StuffIt AVR > "Stop" did the trick

This is the first problem I've encountered with my 12" G4 PowerBook since I bought it in 2003 - never used a forum before either for support, but thanks for saving me a trip to the Apple Store, or a system re-install!!!

Back