Finder windows won't refresh

Dogcow

Registered
If I copy a folder to my mac from another machine, or if I create files in it via the command-line, the Finder won't show the files in the window. I can close it, open again, get info on it, etc. and the files still won't show. I did figure out yesterday that I can drop another file into it from the finder and instantly everything will show, but that's not really a solution.

What's likely the cause for this? Are there some cache files I need to hose somewhere?

Cheers,
-Dogcow "moof!"

Just a bug in Tiger, that's all -- the same thing happened early with Mac OS X 10.2, but was fixed (or at least improved) in a later revision.

Happens to me frequently as well, most commonly when I unstuff files -- the resulting expanded folder will show "no items," but simply navigating to it via the Terminal will reveal that the folder is actually full. I stumbled across the same fix as you did -- drop a file in the folder, and bam!... auto-refresh.

Does the Finder team actually test anything before they ship it out?

Another annoying bug is if you're in a sidebar folder and use spring-loaded folders on another item, the sidebar item you were in will remain highligthed. If you want to get back to it, you have to click on another item to unhighlight it, then click back.

Thanks for the response...this problem is on my G5, so maybe there is some sort of fix out there that we're not aware of.
-Dogcow "moof!"

When I mount my external firewire drive which is partitioned into two drives, only one appears in the sidebar which is extremely annoying.

Have you tried dragging the missing drive to the sidebar? I accidentally dragged my hard drive out once, and dragging it back fixed it.

Cheers,
-Dogcow "moof!"

Back