Finding Lost Firefox Bookmark?

coolio2654

Registered
Hey guys, you probably haven't heard from me in a while. So here's the problem. I was cruising the net late at night and decided to bookmark my 50+ open tabs. I did it, I saw the bookmark form, and went to sleep. Later on, I accidentally deleted my bookmark :(. That's 3+ hours or cruising that would be hard to make up.

What I've done about it. I've researched online and tried to restore my bookmarks from an automated backup ("Bookmarks"->"Show All Bookmarks"->"Restore"). So I picked the day I made the bookmark but it didn't reappear; Ive done this a few times and restarted Firefox to no avail. Then, as a last resort I used Stellar Phoenix to search all my deleted data to find the bookmark. I didn't download anything meanwhile so the data must still be there, only problem is I can't seem to find it :|.

I would be extremely grateful to anyone who could tell me how to get my bookmark back somehow; it would save 3 hours of my live from falling to oblivion. Forwarding thanks to all those who answer.

P.S. Oh, and I have OSX 10.5.8 and Firefox 4.0.1 and I believe I was private browsing during that time.

Attachments

• Picture 11.png
    Picture 11.png
    173.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture 12.png
    Picture 12.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Look here:
Code:
~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<profile folder>

...in a folder called "bookmarkbackups" for a file called "bookmarks-(date).json". That's a daily rotating backup file of your bookmarks.

You can also try finding, in that same folder above (not the "bookmarksbackup" folder, but the one in the code box) a file called "places.sqlite" which are bookmarks and browsing history.

Ok, I found the "bookmarkbackups" folder and I looked again and noticed that I have a bookmarkbackup that should rightly contain my most recent bookmark, but it doens't restore anything; can Firefox not be working properly on this one?
Secondly, I see the sqlite file has most of my websites but is there any by-date-way to search through the websites it has recorded? Does it record entire bookmarks?
Thirdly, what would a deleted bookmark look like on stellar phoenix?

No, there's no way to search day-by-day through those files (easily).

What about simply accessing those files through your Time Machine backup and restoring them from the day that you made the mistake?

Or, what about explaining the content of the website you bookmarked, a short description of how you got there, and let us help you find it again? The "hive mind" of the internet works wonders and can dig up some very esoteric stuff, given we're pointed in the semi-right direction.

Even if there's a hard way, I'd like to know :).

Nope, don't have time machine because my airport xtreme's drive is too small.

My bookmark was mostly just 4ch links. If it was just one thing I lost, I would've asked; but thanks anyway.

P.S. Doesn't java or some other programs secretly store browsing data? Just wondering.

Back