Fink commander on Panther

s3raphim

Registered
1)
What exactly of fink comes with the X11 packages for Panther? There is the /sw/fink directory, but I can't seem to run anything....
But the when I try in to instal Fink 0.6.2 it says that because there is already an /sw directory I cannot install it. Help

also
2)
Is there are working version of FinkCommander for OSX.3?

It seems fink has been installed by default with the X11 packages installable with Panther, but instead of being put in my home directory, where fink was in 10.2, the /sw directory belongs to root.
The result is that I cannot authenticate FinkCommander either with my user name and password or the root information.
Any ideas?

FinkCommander from versiontracker.com works in Panther. FinkCommander is not shipped with Fink, nor the other way around, they're not even made by the same people. Fink and X11 have nothing to do with each other (as far as I know).

So what doesn't work in Fink ? Can you do "sudo fink selfupdate" in the terminal ? What happens when you run FinkCommander ?

Well, I've fixed a few things, but there's still one major problem.

Apple's X11 is very obviously installed in its x11r6 or whatever directory, and fink and fink commander are running.
Now I want to run some nice programs like aterm and such. All of which depend on X11. Now normally I would install the system-xfree86 placeholder packages in fink because x11 is already on my system. But for some reason when I got to install these packages, it says 'no packages to install', if I try to delete them, it says they aren't installed. If I try to reinstall X11 using fink it can't because X11 is already installed. So what's the trick to getting the placeholder packages to cooperate? Any suggestions PLEASE?

michaelsanford said:
Yeah I have the same problem. :mad:

Eureka!!
I discovered something rather sneaky.
The XCode CD has on it X11SDK, the developer stuff you need to run fink and whatnot, as well as gcc3 and other things. But I don't think these get installed by default in the standard xCode install. Although why is beyond me.

Also, I've been tolf finkCommander is not Pnather compatible.
So install X11SDK and gcc3 and fink command line should work.
And it does.

Yay!

For sake of completeness:
Q9.11: I installed Apple's X11 in Panther but Fink keeps asking to install xfree86.

A: You need to (re)install the X11SDK, which is on the Xcode CD, and is not installed by default.

Even if you install XCode, the X11SDK is not installed by default. It has to be installed either with a custom Xcode install, or by clicking on the X11SDK pkg in the Packages folder.

You can check your install by running fink-virtual-pkgs and checking to see that the Package: system-xfree86 section is present and the provides: line contains x11

If you don't see everything properly installed, the safest way to fix this error is to remove all older copies of xfree86 or system-xfree86 and reinstall Apple's X11 and the X11SDK. You may see warnings from the first line, which you can ignore:
Code:
sudo dpkg -r --force-all system-xfree86 system-xfree86-42 system-xfree86-43 \
xfree86-base xfree86-base-shlibs; rm -rf /Library/Receipts/X11SDK.pkg \
/Library/Receipts/X11User.pkg; fink selfupdate; fink index

Then, reinstall X11 from the third Panther CD and X11SDK from the Xcode CD.

Note: system-xfree86 no longer requires the X11SDK for binary installs if you have fink-0.17.0 or later.

From the Fink FAQ.

Back