fink

xaosai

Registered
I'm trying to install Fink since it apparently makes installation easier. But it gives me an error saying that "/sw" already exists. It's an older version of Fink. Can I delete the entire sw directory and reinstall, or do other scripts draw from sw? I don't remember installing it (it was probably a friend of mine). Thanks.

Instead of re-installing Fink by hand, you can execute Fink to selfupdate. If you delete the /sw directory, you will loose all programs that you/your friend alredy installed with Fink. Try using FinkCommander to administrate your Fink packages.

From the terminal you can execute (as Cat suggested)

% sudo fink selfupdate

If that doesn't update Fink then yes, you can just
% sudo rm -r /sw
and erase all of Fink and re-install. It will wipe all your Fink apps and possibly preferences (of the fink apps) as well.

I personally have had lots of problems with Fink, mostly, I think, due to Apple's Devtools.

When you say it makes installation easier though...what are you trying to install ? If you have a speific program in mind (say, Abiword) you can look for a MacOS X port instead...

Ok I am also stuck with a fink problem only I am trying to install it for the first time. I have tried using Xcode do compile before with no luck. It always tells me the the that it can't find the C++ complier. So now I am trying fink. But when I try to set up .profile it tells me I don't have permission. so if some one would be kind enough to give me a rough walk though on how they did it. That would be a huge help :) thanks in advance -

You probably haven't installed the complete development tools if XCode says it can't find the C++ compiler. A reinstall will solve it. While you are at it, you can always download the latest version of XCode from the Apples development website. It's at version 1.5 at the moment and be sure to download the November 2004 GCC update as well.

I don't know why you are trying to modify your .profile by hand. The fink installer should do that for you.

Back