FinkCommander help

Steven S

Registered
Hey all,

I've been trying to install some things from FinkCommander such as the Gimp and some latex stuff. However, I'm not getting anywhere.

When I select the packages to install, such as for latex2html, I get this error:
"Setting up xfree86-base-threaded (4.2.1.1-16) ...
ERROR: /etc/X11 exists, but is not a symlink to /usr/X11R6/etc.
subprocess post-installation script returned with exist status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
xfree86-base-threaded ...."

Anyway, I did a sudo ln -s /etc/X11 /usr/X11R6/etc and still get the error.
Any ideas? I have none.

thanks,

I too am having a similar problem. I already have xfree86 stuff installed on my system, so naturally fink installed its 'placeholder' app system-xfree86. There's a little 'current' thing next to it in commander, and when i run the install command either via commander or the terminal, it says there is nothing new to do. However, whenever I go to install anything else, it is obviously not seeing that this placeholder app is there, it asks to install xfree86, and then, oddly enough, produces and error that xfree86 already exists.
any suggestions?

Well I posted this info elsewhere as well, but here's how I solved my problem:

1)FinkCommander does not run with Panther
2) Even if you have X11 installed, you may not have X11SDK. You need to install this from the xCode CD. Gcc is a good idea too.
3) Fink comes with X11 for users on Install CD 3 of Panther, use this version.
4) You should then be able to run fink command line

FinkCommander works on my Panther just fine. I've had all the devtools installed since the start though, maybe that made a difference.

Back