FireBird becomes FireFox...

azrad

Not-so-junior Member
has anyone noticed that mozilla has new product called FireFox...
well it's actually the next generation type of browser for FireBird...

i have not tried to download the new Browser... if anyone has download and test the new Browser... let us know what u fined?

is good to upgrade to the new browser that is FireFox...

For all we know, Clint Eastwood is going to send them a cease and desist for the name because it would cause confusion with the movie FireFox... ::ha:: ::ha:: :p

Hoping to try it out today, both on Linux and Mac OS X.

Just downloaded, and installed on WinXP home. Seems faster to me, and that's saying something on 56k :p. User profiles are the first thing you notice when starting FireFox. I remember this from netscape but I never liked the way they did it. But it seems easy enough to turn off but I think I'll try it out for awhile. It didn't automatically update my bookmarks.... that stinks but for now I'm pleased.

Still having problems downloading... Looks like many people are hitting the sites. I'll try this afternoon

nixgeek said:
Still having problems downloading... Looks like many people are hitting the sites...

I was probably one of them .. nah nah na nah nahh!

Found this on the site. This really says it all:

Uninstalling Firefox

To uninstall Firefox, follow these instructions:

Windows

From the Start menu, choose Control Panel. When the Control Panel appears, double click Add or Remove Programs. Find "Mozilla Firefox (0.8.)" in the list and click Remove to uninstall.

MacOS X

Drag the Firefox application to the Trash.

Microsoft, where do want to go today? With you guys in charge, to hell in a hand basket probably...

There's still a few rough edges, but by and large, the integration with Aqua has improved leaps and bounds. The page sheets are much more mac-like as compared to the Mozilla implementation.

For some reason, the sidebar is less functional than Mozilla; you don't get tabs for each of the options, of which you only get Bookmarks and History.

There's a full-screen 'kiosk' mode that does a good job, but leaves you with Windows Minimize, Fullscreen & Close buttons [hurrgg!]

There's an option to add more than one search engine to the search bar. So far, I've added iMDB and Amazon UK, but there's loads more to choose from. This is a pretty useful feature.

Overall, Firefox feels much snappier and faster. With Mozilla, while page rendering was quick, the actual application remained doggedly sluggish.

Not quite Safari, but .. as we say in Yorkshire, it isn't a kick in the arse off...

finally... the extensions are back up and i was able to get the one that allows me to copy an image to the clipboard. I was really missing that. Firebird is pretty cool though. Just how do i get spell checking working?

You probably should spell 'firebird' as 'firefox' now, that could help. Naah, j/k. ;-) For getting spell checking to work, you switch to another browser. One that makes better use of Cocoa frameworks. Like Safari. Or OmniWeb.

I have Mozilla and I would use that to test the css is web pages [why? Because Apple simply refuse to allow Safari to observe proper css formatting]

Now I'm using Firefox. It's much quicker and feels less lumpy.

I found that Mozilla took up more and more ram the longer you left it open. I'd have to quit it periodically to reclaim ram.

Also, I don't use anything other the web browser in Mozilla, so the rest of the stuff was just deadweight.

I don't like the web browser / email client / chat client / web editor thing, it's just too cumbersome.

Firefox is pretty good, still room for improvement, though...

ok.

today i have managed to install Mozilla FireFox... seems stable... browsing seems a bit faster...

[Browsing Internet]
as for downloading... the default is set to Desktop folder... you can change them anyway... (Tools... Options... click on ' Download Tab ' > look at Download Folder)

HTML:
The URL auto-redirection is not functioning...

<code><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="2; url=http://www.sample.com"></code>

can someone verify the HTML Code for me...

[Others]
I like the new icon for FireFox... kewl...

Code:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="8;URL=http://story.ch/">
I'm using this at my 404-page on story.ch. Working fine in FireFox 0.8. Yep, I like the icon, too, but featurewise, I'm with Safari and OW5. :) Also: The mozilla-based browsers just never feel Mac-enough for me somehow...

firefox? i liked chimera, untill they changed the name. camino souns a stupid browser name.

idem for firefox. what ius a firefox? firebird .. a phoenix, at least makes sense. nope, because of the name i'm not going to try but to stick with firebird. the name is the reason also for not trying the konfub .. konfab.. whatever. i refuse to use the apps that i cant pronounce the name of :p

what next? why cant they just stick with a name if the application stays the same? maybe firebulldog, firecamel, firelama, firespider etc.

Just downloaded and tested out the sites i go to the most. Result: it works!

I like it and it looks so nice. The theme is called pinstripe but it's textbook aqua.

here is a link to some screenshots.

http://kmgerich.com/archive/000049.html

I like that you could put the bookmarks on the sidebar and you could have directories in directories in the bookmarks.

Still a technology preview (0.8) ... the 1.0 should be off the hook. Oh ... i think the new icon looks cool, too.

Don't get me wrong ... i still use safari 75% of the time. I use firefox to compare webpages that seem off in safari, and if ifirefox is up, i keep on using it.

But if i didn't have panther and couldn't get safari 1.2 ... i might use this

octane said:
I have Mozilla and I would use that to test the css is web pages [why? Because Apple simply refuse to allow Safari to observe proper css formatting]

Did you fall and hit your head or something? <G>

Everything I code to XHTML and CSS1/CSS2 come out just fine in Safari. Please enlighten us as to how 'Apple simply refuses to observe proper CSS formatting' then.

Giaguara said:
what next? why cant they just stick with a name if the application stays the same? maybe firebulldog, firecamel, firelama, firespider etc.

They changed the name due to another program that was found out there with the same name.

Same thing happened when they switched from Phoenix to Firebird.

Back