Firefox Question..

spatel783

Registered
Is there any way to make it so, when I click on the firefox icon on the dock, it automatically opens a new firefox window? Instead of opening one thats already open?

I hate that!!

Thanks

It seems like you still have Firefox running without knowing that it's running. Are you clicking the red button on the window to quit? If so, then all you're doing is closing the window of the applciation, not quitting. To quit fully from the app, you have to hit Command-Q. Then once you launch Firefox, it should open up a window along with the homepage (if that's how you have it configured to do on a new window).

The reason this is like this on the Mac is because of the universal menubar which changes depending on which app is active. It's one of the things switchers need to get used to when moving to the Mac. On Windows, since the menu is part of the window, closing the window quits the app. However, on the Mac sometimes you don't want to quit out of the application when closing a window, hence the application not quitting unless you give it the key command I mentioned or go to Firefox-->Quit in the menubar. You can also ctrl-click (or right click if you have a multibutton mouse) on the icon on the Dock and select to quit.

One other way of knowing how an app is still running is if the application has a little black triangle on the bottom of it. When you quit for real, the triangle disappears and the icon does as well (unless you've dragged an alias of the app to the Dock, in which case you'll only see the triangle disappear).

Hope this helps. :)

Not AFAIK. Bu if you want you can try and add a webpage to your Login Items, located on System Preferences --- Accounts. Well, Im not 100% you can do it, but you can at least try and give it a try, the webpage will open everytime you turn your computer on.

I'm not sure if we're getting the poster's question, which seems to be asking about the default home page. This is always the same when you first open FireFox, or no other FireFox window is open.
You can go into FireFox preferences/general tab, and change the home page location to whatever you want, or choose to have a blank page open, with no address.

Wow I mustve totally wrote the question incorrectly. I know when a program is open and totally shutdown.

My question is, when Firefox already has a website open, can I click on the firefox icon in the dock and have it open up a totally new webpage. Sort of like Windows, everytime you doubleclick on Internet Explorer, it opens up a new explorer page. I dont think I can word that any differently.

Unfortunately, this isn't Windows :)
You can still do a Command-N (aka Apple-N) to quickly open up a new window, however. Also, Command-T opens a new tab. I find these keyboard shortcuts a lot quicker than their mouse counterparts, once you get used to them.
Also, you can right-click the icon and select "New Window", in Safari.

I understand why you think it ought to behave that way: you're used to Windows.

There are some fundamental differences in the way applications work between Macs and Windows. On Windows, you can have many instances of the same program open. If you double-click Explorer, it'll open a new instance. On the Mac, there is only ONE instance of any program, but these instances can each control any number of windows. This is largely possible because of the global menu bar, like nixgeek explained.

The Dock is an application switcher. You might not be used to this concept, since Windows deals less with the concept of 'applications' and more with the concept of 'windows'. (Again, this is because of the global menu bar, the single most significant difference between the Mac OS and everything else.) Since there is only ONE instance of any program, clicking on an icon in the Dock simply brings it to the front. If I got a new document every time I switched apps from the Dock, I'd lose my sanity within minutes! ;)

I do hate to be one of the guys who answers questions with something like "it doesn't work that way! It shouldn't work that way! You shouldn't want it to work that way!", but if you understand the reason it works the way it does, I hope you'll be able to better adapt to it and use it to your advantage. This is one of those basic differences between OS X and Windows that can drive switchers half mad (you are not alone). But once you get used to it, I think you'll like it!

I'm so clear about your question, but I just don't know why you want to operate that way? Apple+N/T is so simple and it works well.
If you really want to do this by clicking mouse, you could click file-open a new window/tab

My question is, when Firefox already has a website open, can I click on the firefox icon in the dock and have it open up a totally new webpage. Sort of like Windows, everytime you doubleclick on Internet Explorer, it opens up a new explorer page. I dont think I can word that any differently.

If you hold the mouse button down on the Safari dock icon (or control/right click), you can choose to open a new browser window, providing similar functionality. Also works in Camino, but not Firefox, for some reason. Those last two seem to have a lot of 'hidden' prefs, but I don't know if you can add that to Firefox, too.

Back