Firefox + Safari Flash Crashing

piginawig

Registered
Whenever I visit a site with flash on it, in firefox or safari, it crashes the browser. I have turned javascript off for now, but I need to be able to use flash. Does anyone have a idea what I can try to fix this?

Remove the current Flash plug-in. Make sure you get all of it especially in /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Internet Plug-ins/ and in /YourHardDrive/Library/Internet Plug-ins/.

After restarting install the current Flash version that is compatible with your current OS X and browser requirements for the Flash plug-in.

Try again and good luck.

Remove the current Flash plug-in. Make sure you get all of it especially in /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Internet Plug-ins/ and in /YourHardDrive/Library/Internet Plug-ins/.

After restarting install the current Flash version that is compatible with your current OS X and browser requirements for the Flash plug-in.

Try again and good luck.

I tried this, but it still crashes. Thanks for the help though.

O.K. I Need to ask some questions. What Mac are you using? What version of OS X are you running? Was there any other plug-ins in the Plug-in folders?

I am using a 6 month old iMac with 10.5.4. There are quite a few other plug-ins in the folder, such as shockwave, and quicktime. I tried instaling older versions of flash, but they all still crashed. Thanks for your help :)

OK. Try to remove other third party plug-ins and move them to the desktop. Restart and then try a flash web site. Then move those moved plug-ins one at a time back to see which one is causing the problem.

Plus you can get an idea why things are crashing by watching the logs at /Applications/Utilities/Console. As soon as the browser crashes, check the Console log to see why it did. This way you can see what is causing the problem.

You could also install Safari Stand. That'll let you turn off Flash for every site, and then turn it back on for the sites where you need it to work. Can save a lot of battery time on a laptop since many Flash movies are poorly coded and makes the CPU work needlessly hard. It's free (donationware) and you can find it here:
http://hetima.com/safari/stand-e.html

I am experiencing the same problem. The only extra thing I can add, is that occassionaly I receive a message on a web page that tells me to install latest version of Flash, even tho I already have. So i re-install, thinking it might solve the problem, but no success.

It keeps crashing.... even in YouTube.

Back