Firefox: Where the Heck Is the Apple + Down Arrow Feature???

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
OK, I installed Firefox. Again. After trashing it once long ago. I figure I'll give it another go. See if I like it any better this time around. I have a question, though: How do you immediately jump to the top (or bottom) of a Web page? With most browsers such as Safari and Camino, you simply press Apple + the down arrow key to jump to the bottom of a page. Apple + the up arrow key goes immediately to the top. I looked up "keyboard shortcuts" in Firefox's help window ... and it says the shortcuts are "End" (bottom) and "Home" (top). Um ... problem: It doesn't work! I have a laptop (iBook G4), so I'm guessing Firefox was designed either for (cough, cough) PC users or desktop keyboards, I have no idea. Anyway, it doesn't work on my computer. I pressed Home and End (on my keyboard Home is the left arrow button, and End is the right arrow button). No luck. :(

Any suggestions? Or better yet ... solutions?

Amie said:
I pressed Home and End (on my keyboard Home is the left arrow button, and End is the right arrow button). No luck. :(

Any suggestions? Or better yet ... solutions?

You need to hold the Fn key when doing that for the home and end functions to work. And why on earth are you using Firefox? Use Camino (also by mozilla, but mac only) or Safari, which is just quick, clean, useful and in general unbeatable!

zainab.juma said:
You need to hold the Fn key when doing that for the home and end functions to work. And why on earth are you using Firefox? Use Camino (also by mozilla, but mac only) or Safari, which is just quick, clean, useful and in general unbeatable!
Why on Earth am I using Firefox? That's a damn good question. LOL Truth be told, sooooo many people just raaaaave about Firefox, so I figured what the heck, might as well try it and see what all the hubbub is about. So far, I don't see a lot of hubbub, bub.

Will probably uninstall Firefox and put it in the trash where it belongs very soon...

And just for the record: Camino is my preferred browser. Oh, yes, I loooooove Camino. :)

And thank you for answering my Firefox question. Much appreciated!

I have to say I *quite* like Firefox's bookmark handling, and that's what I do a lot of. Haven't tried this Camino thing though, will give that a go.

FWIW, PC-wise, I can see why people rave about Firefox. Beats every other browser out there hands down.

The other thing to consider is that Firefox has Extensions capabilities that can enhance its use. I don't think that this is possible in Camino. I've used both and since the release of FF 1.5, it's now become my default browser.

And yes, it does bookmarks much better than anything else I've seen. :)

On my machine, End and Home keys move to top or bottom.

Firefox is my favorite browser.

Yes, I do like Firefox's bookmarks features, but I'm not sure that FF is faster, Web-page-loading-wise, and that, to me, is very important in a browser. For now, I'm still using FF. Still learning my way around and getting used to the codes/language. We'll see how it goes. I've got Camino and Safari sitting in my dock ... just in case. :)

P.S. Someone mentioned something about FF 1.5. I just looked up the version of FF that I'm using and it's 1.0.7. Is that the latest/updated version for OS 10.3.9? Just want to me sure that I downloaded the correction version.

P.P.S. I get the feeling that FF was made for PC users, not Mac users. True?

Firefox, like most of Mozilla's projects, was designed to be consistent across platforms. The problem with that is that "consistent across platforms" = "inconsistent with each individual platform's rules".

Even the Windows version doesn't feel completely like a normal Windows program. It's just that it doesn't matter as much on Windows, because whenever you stray from standard Windows behavior, it's probably an improvement. ;)

Mikuro said:
It's just that it doesn't matter as much on Windows, because whenever you stray from standard Windows behavior, it's probably an improvement. ;)

So true! LOL

And I'm not just saying that for the sake of agreeing. I've experienced both worlds firsthand. Been a Windows PC user my whole life until a few years ago when I started working on a Mac at the office. And about six months ago, I bought my very first Mac (an iBook G4). Now I can't imagine ever going back.

Like I always say: "Once you've tried Mac, you'll never go back!" ;)

On my G4 Powerbook, the Home and End keys scroll horizontal and the page up and down keys scroll verical in Firefox.

Hm... how do I get to previous and next tabs in firefox??? No shortcut for that keeps me not liking firefox.

ljwcic said:
On my G4 Powerbook, the Home and End keys scroll horizontal and the page up and down keys scroll verical in Firefox.
Yes, but if you press the fn (function) key at the same time you press the Home and End keys, it will jump to the top and bottom of the page, respectively. Which is what I just found out, thanks to zainab.juma, who answered my question in this thread.

Giaguara said:
Hm... how do I get to previous and next tabs in firefox??? No shortcut for that keeps me not liking firefox.
Previous and next tab? Now you're just being greedy. Why do you need that? The tabs are all right there. Just click on one! LOL

Amie said:
Previous and next tab? Now you're just being greedy. Why do you need that? The tabs are all right there. Just click on one! LOL

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this person's post. Of course, I was waiting for someone else to say something about it. ::ha::

Amie said:

When I'm doing extensive search, I may have 30 tabs or more open. I can't reach all just manually switching [move mouse over] click and so on. Something like Safari, Shiira, Camino .. give me a shortcut for changing the tab!! like ?-shift-arrow right or left in Safari .. that is really the reason #1 of keeping me from liking it.

Giaguara said:
When I'm doing extensive search, I may have 30 tabs or more open. I can't reach all just manually switching [move mouse over] click and so on. Something like Safari, Shiira, Camino .. give me a shortcut for changing the tab!! like ?-shift-arrow right or left in Safari .. that is really the reason #1 of keeping me from liking it.
Thirty tabs? Jeez! You need a few more computers. ;)

Firefox also handles keychain passwords much better than Safari or Camino.

I may have several differnt user names and passwords that I present to the same log in screen depending on what I'm doing. Firefox will present me with a list and let me choose one and I'll be logged in with the pw for that account. Camino can't imagine that one screen may have multiple log ins. Safari is not much better.

Back