firewall/safari/internet prefs bugging

alexandr

kosmonaut
TROUBLE ACCESSING CERTAIN SITES!!

safari suddenly denies me acces to certain sites - among others www.macosx.com, apple.com, macosxhints.com - and other sites i frequently use. there is absolutely no connection between the sites, and every time i write the adress or try to get there via bookmarks i just get timed out after 60 secs. it doesn't getting anywhere near "loading page", it just hangs and times out.

i've tried different browsers - mozilla, opera - to check if it was safari bugging, but they all time out on the same sites. i checked my connection and everything is as i should. software update wont find any connection, though. it times out aswell. all this is so strange, since i can easily acces some sites without any prob or delay whatsoever. msn works as normail aswell.

i've checked with several different sources and i know theese pages aren't "down". *any ideas whats happening?

i downloaded the security update 2004-06-07 yesterday, but until this afternoon my system ran perfectly. seems strange if this is the cause, because it kicked in almost 24 hours after the download.

i'm running jag(10.2.8) on an iBook g3 800, if it matters. i'm posting this with help from a friend trough msn messenger, who is signed in as me.. since i can access my webmail i'm hoping to get to read the replys there - if someone who knows what it might be could be so kind to crosspost to alex@turmusic.no aswell i would be very happy!

alex.

any ideas anyone??

need soem desparate help here.. can't access anything important for me at the moment.

a.

zammy-sam; i'm sorry to seem desperate, but i respect your answers highly and was wondering if you have any opinions on the problem..

i mean, anything would get me further.

i've repaired permissions, tried to download onyX, but i can't access the link form versiontracker because it times out. cocktail either.

i'm really stuck here..
thanks!

al.

Alex, did you try to ping those sites? Given apple.com open your terminal and type ping www.apple.com. Do you get a time out as well?
Do you have a firewall on? If yes, turn it off and try again. Do you have other comps in your area you could test? An my fav add (once more Randman ;)): setup a new useraccount and check how things work.
Good luck!

just tried to ping apple. got immediate answer back. no prob.

firewall? i don't know really, where can i check it out? no firewall-settings in system prefs, is it?

tried new account, it is the same.
also tried emptying cache, reseting safari, deleteing safari .plist. but since it was the same in the other browsers aswell that was kinda a dead-end anywat, i guess..

but the firewall might be it, i just need to know where to regualte settings!

thanks for the quick reply!

alex.

well, since you can ping to site, I am very confused. It has nothing to do with the firewall. Anyway, how is your mac connected to the internet? It is very strange..
do you have classic installed? My ideas are dying slowly but ... surely

it connected trough a normal modem/router(whatever its called - at least its a 1280k cabel line). and it was perfectly normal until yesterday.

classic is still there. never used it though, but i think i can manage. should i try accessing in classic? is there a browser in classic(yeah, ok, stupid question, but what is it called?)

a.

you should have internetexplorer (ie) on classic. Simply open the finder and go to your System 9 folder. There must be a Application folder and you can double click ie.app and classic should automatically start. I am really curious if this will work...

Alex, this sounds very weird to me. One last thing you should check:
any possibility to get another comp for testing?
And now about the firewall: I suppose System Preferences -> Sharing. Any of the options clicked? If not go to the next tab: Firewall. Is it off?
Now about your connection to the internet: you have two plugs in your mac that should look very similar and one is going to the modem/router. Is it the bigger or smaller plug which goes to the modem/router? And this modem/router: what brand does it have and what kind of plugs does it have? I am not very familiar with broadband connections. We just have 56k, isdn and dsl here..

Did you download the correct security update? There was one for Jaguar, one for Panther.
Are you have any other troubles with your iBook? Any other apps giving you problems?
Are you on an AirPort station? If so, can you try and create a new network, even if you have to trash the other one? And if you have AirPort, try resetting the station and logging back in to the AirPort.
Also, if you are on AirPort, what's the signal strength showing (bars in the AirPort menu atop the menubar)?
Oh, and finally, if there's any other computers you can try and connect to the Internet from your connection. That will show if its the iBook or something else that's giving you problems.

well.. windows sharing was on, but it always been like that.
firewall was off, at least it said "start" on the button wich "activate firewall to deny incoming communication to everything except the boxes checked". none of the boxes are checked.

my modem is a Motorola SB4100 Cable modem, delivered to me by my provider. i use the ethernet-plug, not the analog-plug(56k).
the modem comes with one ethernet-out, one usb and the powercable. nothing more.
the modem also displays everything as fine - all green lights..

i don't have another computer to cross-check the connection..

alex.

the funny thing, Randman: ping works and other websites as well. So, network settings should be ok. this is so weird

no airport.

i downloaded the security update trough software update, so i guess it should be ok.
i wouldn't have showed up if it wasn't for jag would it?

no other problems, just the presumed logic board failure, but thats totally different. all apps good.

no other computer, so it is a bit tricky to say the least.

alex.

well. how would the server be able to deny me access to so many different types of sites
f.ex; apple.com, dagbladet.no, olga.net, mail.yahoo.no, www.bnpparibas.net, flensburger-sparkasse.de

could it?

alex.

something just came to mind;

i ran a terminal-script some days ago, maybe a week, to set cron jobs to "weekly". i think i might have been after something you posted, randman. it was just to check out how the terminal works, and i set it to weekly by random - i might aswell could have put it to daily.
i don't remember the script though, i just copied it out of and pasted into terminal.

could this have something to do with it?

alex.

Fine, blame me. :) Actually, I don't remember posting any Terminal commands in any post. I don't use Terminal that often.

Do you have cocktail or maintain or something that you could use to re-run the cron scripts? And you've repaired permissions since installing the update?

repaired permissions. restart twice.
i know i have cocktail somewhere, but cant find anything but cocktail pilot when i search. tried to launch it but i just launches and then disappears.
no blame given, if so to myself for the urge to try out EVERYTHING posted on this forum. even though i know nothing what i1m doing ;)

alex.

Back