firewall/safari/internet prefs bugging

ok, shift change, Randman ;)
do you have any modem/router specs?
Any way to try your phone line to connect to the internet? You have a cable that fits to your mac (the smaller plug of those two biggest) and you should connect to the phone plug. Let's see if that works..

there is no way i can try i dial-up connection, like you suggest.
router specs? nothing more than the name, and i'm getting timed out whenever i try searching google etc..

rand; i'm sorry if i offended you, but i really didn't intend to place any blame. like i said it just came to my mind about the script, and i thought i remembered it was you posting it. guess it wasn't ;)

alex.

No worries. Do you have an external disk that you could download an Internet program such as Safari from a friend? If so, you could trash Safari, go through Internet Connect (via Utilities) and start all over again.

but do you really think it is safari giving me trouble, since the same happened in opera and firefox aswell?

a.

Do you have any friend, Alex? I mean.. hehe, sounds really weird. Ok, let me try different.
Do you know anyone that has an internet connection and lives close to you so you could plug your mac to his network and see, if there is something wrong with the network or your software. It is a very weird problem since you get no time out on ping but with all browsers.
Or maybe invite a friend with a laptop so he can try out your connection.
And sorry, I kinda missed the brand of your modem/router. What is it? and which model?
Alex, we'll fix this upon my Sam! ;)

will try to go to a friends house to check, but it wont happen before monday. but then again i will survive fine as it is until then.

also, modem is a Motorola SB 4100 Cable modem, Surfboard(whataver that means), and shows all good. only green lights as it should be. however i can't locate any reset-button, but i pulled the plug a couple of times, meaning it would have to reset itself, right?

about the ping; how will i know i've gotten a ping-timeout? i'm not used to terminal. when i said i got a ping from www.apple.com yesterday i thought i did because i got immediate answer. however, when i try to ping one of the sites i actually can access in safari i get lots of more information. will try to provide two pics..
as for the difference i guess i was wrong yesterday when i said i got a ping from apple.. - so where does this leave us? provider-issues? firewall?
thanks for the help sofar, sammy and randman! i really appreciate it..

al

Attachments

• apple-ping.jpg
    apple-ping.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 2
  • turmusic-ping.jpg
    turmusic-ping.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2
Alex

You can use the Network Utility in your Utility folder to Ping, Traceroute, etc.

The Motorola 4100 I think is an older modem. I have the 4220. To reset, you just unplug it for a couple minutes.

Check your Sharing preferencePane and make sure the Firewall is turned off.

If you can connect to some sites and not others, I would call your Cable Service provider to have them check it out.

ohhh, that changes few things, Alex, seems like ping didn't work as well. So, I would second Bobs advice to call your ISP.

Hey, that script you used. Was it the one that changes the time Safari waits to load a page?? If that, maybe you changed the settings incorrectly.

yess! that was it. i have tried that one aswell!
forgot about that, but i changed it to .25 seconds or something. what should i do? will it change it back if i reset safari?

firewall is off.

alex.

ah yeah, forgot about the other browsers. to eager i guess..

only thing left to call the provider? darn, i'm a norwegian living in france, and the don't speak too good norwegian down here. and i definetly don't speak computer-french. english is a no-no on any form for help-call-senters.

but will give it a shot.
alex.

ok. suddenly everything is back to normal. i can access everything, so i guess my provider got their stuff back togheter again. lord knows what happened..

thank you so much for trying to help me out, you guys, sammy and randman, and thanks bobw for joining in at the end. appreciate it!

alex.

Back