firewall

s3raphim

Registered
I know Apple comes with a firewall, but I want something a little more. Anyone know of a really good opensource firewall that works on OSX?

Well, OS X firewall doesn't take full advantage of the BSD built in firewall. So there is a program called Brickhouse. It will unlocked the full force of the built in firewall.

The best and by far the most widely used firewall for Unix is ipfw - which also happens to be the firewall that is built into OS X. The commercial firewalls may have a fancy GUI interface and generate lots of reports but they are no more secure than ipfw. The Brickhouse GUI front end has already been mentioned and it is an excellent way to configure ipfw.

If you do not want to pay the shareware price for Brickhouse, open Terminal and type "man ipfw" (without the quotes of course) and find out how you can configure ipfw from the command line. In programming from the command line, it helps if you are very familiar with internet protocols and the various ports used by different services on the internet, LAN, and perhaps more importantly, by worms.

thanks loads guys!
I'm playing with Brickhouse right now, but will have a look at ipfw over the weekend.

s3raphim said:
thanks loads guys!
I'm playing with Brickhouse right now, but will have a look at ipfw over the weekend.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Brickhouse is a GUI interface for configuring ipfw and that is all it is.

Back