FireWire 2, USB 2 - When on Macintosh?

FireWire 800, on newest G4s (apparently not being offered through Apple store since the announcement about G5s) This FW800 has a different connector, so requires different cables (in addition to the updated hardware.)

Hulk: Well, sure, anyone can pick up an adaptor card for 1/100th or less the price of a new G5, but I think the original point of this thread was about when Apple was going to start including FW800 (FW2? Hmm...) and USB2 integrated into the computers, which now is a reality.

Originally posted by arden
Hulk: Well, sure, anyone can pick up an adaptor card for 1/100th or less the price of a new G5, but I think the original point of this thread was about when Apple was going to start including FW800 (FW2? Hmm...) and USB2 integrated into the computers, which now is a reality.

...the first post was quite old (2002) anyways and especially compared to what Apple was actually doing since the first days of January 2003 for FireWire 800 (aka FireWire 2) :eek:

Still, my previous reply had nothing to do with the original post. I think it was quite clear that I didn't want anyone else (including you) to think that in order to use USB2 the only choice was to buy an "expensive" G5 :p or even a Wintel :eek:

As for being a reality of Apple including USB2 AND FireWire 800 on their computers well, that simply ain't or at least it is a half baked reality! :eek: They utilize both of these technologies on their new G5 PowerMacs only... We have yet to see the full plot of how Apple will handle USB2 AND FireWire 800 :rolleyes:

For more info on FireWire 400 & 800 go here:
http://www.apple.com/firewire/
and for info on USB 1 & 2 go here:
http://www.apple.com/usb/
and here:
http://www.usb.org/home

I hope that everything is clear now ;)

Is there such a thing as a pc card for a laptop that will add firewire? My wintel buddy wants an ipod, but does not have firewire on his computer.

Originally posted by dave17lax
Is there such a thing as a pc card for a laptop that will add firewire? My wintel buddy wants an ipod, but does not have firewire on his computer.

Just you or your friend pay a visit to any quality Wintel store and you will find one ;)

Also, if you want to buy online just google yourselves up :D

Here is a random example:
http://www.basoncomputer.com/CTRFW2/item.aspx

Hope your friend to enjoy his new iPod! Then again he should buy a Mac too! :p :D

Originally posted by hulkaros
...the first post was quite old (2002) anyways and especially compared to what Apple was actually doing since the first days of January 2003 for FireWire 800 (aka FireWire 2) :eek:
I know it's an old thread, and I had that in mind as I was posting.
Still, my previous reply had nothing to do with the original post. I think it was quite clear that I didn't want anyone else (including you) to think that in order to use USB2 the only choice was to buy an "expensive" G5 :p or even a Wintel :eek:
Yes, yes. The original post, however, was specifically about when Apple was going to start including USB 2 and FW 2 (a.k.a. FW 800) in their computers. Just because you can buy an adaptor for your computer doesn't mean Apple shouldn't include it natively.
As for being a reality of Apple including USB2 AND FireWire 800 on their computers well, that simply ain't or at least it is a half baked reality! :eek: They utilize both of these technologies on their new G5 PowerMacs only... We have yet to see th
How is it not a reality, or a full reality? Apple built USB 2 and FW 800 into the G5. I would not expect them to issue a recall for all G4's from the last 2 years or so, just so they can install these new buses. The issue was when is Apple going to include them natively in the computers, and they are now including them natively in the computers, so it is 100% reality.

Dave: The new iPod works with both Firewire and USB 2. Does your friend's laptop have a USB 2 port on his computer?

this thread is a moot point. usb 2 is obviously going to be included on every new upgrade from herein, and firewire 800 is presumably only going to be on the Pro lineup. ya?

(i say obviously, because it is impossible to source usb1.1 controllers anymore - check out the slashdot thread when it was discovered that the MDD G4's had a usb2 controller throttled back to be usb1 only)

Originally posted by arden
I know it's an old thread, and I had that in mind as I was posting.

Yes, yes. The original post, however, was specifically about when Apple was going to start including USB 2 and FW 2 (a.k.a. FW 800) in their computers. Just because you can buy an adaptor for your computer doesn't mean Apple shouldn't include it natively.

How is it not a reality, or a full reality? Apple built USB 2 and FW 800 into the G5. I would not expect them to issue a recall for all G4's from the last 2 years or so, just so they can install these new buses. The issue was when is Apple going to include them natively in the computers, and they are now including them natively in the computers, so it is 100% reality.

Dave: The new iPod works with both Firewire and USB 2. Does your friend's laptop have a USB 2 port on his computer?

:D :)

Back