FireWire Boot Drive

Stellor

Registered
I just put an old hard drive in my FireWire unit, erased it and reformatted it, I would like to know what folders I need to put on it to make a bootable backup drive out of it.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

You can also "clone" your internal boot drive to the external drive, making a perfectly bootable, perfect copy of the drive, using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper -- both found with a simple search at versiontracker.com.

You can't simply copy folders over like you could in OS 9 -- due to the Unix permissions, you need root privileges plus you need to set certain privileges for certain files. Both aforementioned programs do this automatically.

Lacie's SilverKeeper also works well to make a clone and it is also free. Be sure that you select the drive and chose get info from the file menu then make sure to uncheck the ignore ownership on this volume checkbox at the bottom of the external hard drives info window before making a clone. Then make a clone of your startup drive to the external but set the destination to the entire drive or a partition on the drive and not into a folder on the drive. After doing this you will have not only a backup, but a bootable system in case something goes wrong.

Back