Firewire Crashes After System Sleep

Viv Horwitz

Registered
HI - I just forked out a couple of hundred clams for a 500g firewire drive from MacWay which appears in "about this mac" as follows:
FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

SilverMAX:

Manufacturer: Macway
Model: 0x2835
GUID: 0x63A060007FF07
Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec
Connection Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec
Sub-units:
SilverMAX Unit:
Unit Software Version: 0x10483
Unit Spec ID: 0x609E
Firmware Revision: 0x812
Product Revision Level: 8.12
Sub-units:
SilverMAX SBP-LUN:
Capacity: 465.77 GB
Removable Media: Yes
BSD Name: disk2
OS9 Drivers: Yes
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Volumes:
BigDisk:
Capacity: 465.65 GB
Available: 298.33 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk2s10
Mount Point: /Volumes/BigDisk

If that makes any sense to anybody.

PROBLEM:
If the computer goes to sleep then when I wake it up the firewire disk appears in the finder and a click on it will open it, BUT if I try to open a file on it then I gt the "pizza wheel of death" I let the damn wheel spin for 30 mins one time but it is obviously not happening. Ihave tried various fixes - logging out doesnt sem to affect the disk but spin-down is an issue also. Since apple have seen vit to disable my old crash standby control apple eject to force a resatart i have to use the power switch - the result of this is the disk then appears as "unknown firewire device" - I found the fix for that - unplug everything and wait 30mins etc.
so far the only fix I have is to forbid system sleep and to try to remember to eject and turn off the firewire disk when I leave the desk and manually sleep the system (ie back to about 1983 original external hard disk 6800mac!) there has to be a fix for this surely!!!
any and al lhelp much appreciated
Viv Horwitz

If I were you I first would try to Reset NVRAM. To do this then follow these steps:

1. Start up into Open Firmware by pressing and holding the Command-Option-O-F key combination during startup.
2. At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-nvram
3 Press Return.
4. When prompted for your password, enter it and press the Return key.
5. It responds OK.
6. At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all
7. Press Return.

Will do - I reset the pram but that didnt do anything but bugrup my screen resolutions!
is a rainy day today here in the alps so i dont have anything else to do but sit and mess with the computer! here goes.....

nah - didn't work - reset the nvram etc all ok - so put comp to sleep - woke up tried to open a file off the big disk - pizza wheel of death - tried "Cunning Fox" (Great shareware and well worth the $15 sub) only processes visible were finder, printer quickkeys and preview (file i was attempting to open was a graphic) - Preview wouldnt kill properly so comp wouldnt shut down/re-start dont have anything like the old sys9 "process killer" and ctr apple power dont work anymore so i have to switch the box off and the go through the whole unplug routine ( I am worried i will damage the box by this maneuvre but....) looks like a proper apple system bug and since firewire is an apple invention anyway why havent they addressed this!!!!!!
he ho!!!
Viv H

Back