Firewire G3 B/W Tower

mattsuzu

Registered
What do you think of this...

I have built a G3 out of written off parts and the likes from my works mac graveyard upstairs.

I have 2 MainB's, and Two Firewire Modules. I have tried BOTH modules with BOTH boards and the firewire just does not work?

Do you think it would more likely be the boards, or the modules? And in short, does anybody have a firewire module for this tower lying round they dont want??? :)

Thanks!

Firewire modules. Are you talking about Firewire PCI cards or the actual built-in ports? If it's PCI cards, they are probably not compatible with the Macintosh hardware or they might need software for them to work on the Mac. It's hard to say what the problem might be exactly since these are scavenged parts that you have and not original parts.

As for parts, it's possible no one has answered because they might not have the parts. I know I don't. :confused:

Actually, most cheap-o FireWire PCI cards work flawlessly out-of-the-box, no need for drivers.

The on-board FireWire on the B&W machines was crap anyway, and is incompatible with newer-generation iPods and hard drives (they usually exhibit extremely slow transfer speeds). I picked up a CompUSA-branded 3-port FireWire card for about $30 that works flawlessly in my G4 PCI machine (same basic machine as the B&W).

Does "Apple System Profiler" recognize the FireWire ports, but they just don't work -- or are the ports not recognized at all?

on the g3 mainboard they are not built into the mainboard. they are not a pci card, they are a small module that clips onto the mainboard. Similar to say, the bubble imac dialup modems how they clip onto the mainboard next to the ports cluster.

ports are not recognised at all, firewire bus is completely empty in profiler... I've tried two modules, and two mainboards with different combo's to no avail - so the pci card is probrably the best option i guess... Thanks for the info!

i guess it's best to go with pci-cards, too. but while at it: i'd consider a combo fw/usb-2 card. i'm not sure about pricing, but if you're going to buy a pci-card, anyway, maybe that'd be an even better solution.

Back