Firewire not working, mac only sees one cpu

goffysk8er

Registered
Hey brent here, Im running a mac G4 dual 800 512 ram 10.3 and was trying forever to mount my external hard drive (Quantegy 80 GB)and it wouldnt mount tried reseting the pram (or whatever its called), tried unplugging it for 10-15 mins, no go, tried different firewire cable, tried different firewire ports, dont know what else to do, Im thinking the firewire ports dont work, but i was wondering if theres anything else i could try.??? and another thing is that the mac G4 doesnt reconize that i have 2 processors, I have no idea where to start when it come to that. Hope you guys can help, please

Non mounting Firewire drives:
Go to the '/Applications/AppleScript/' folder and launch 'Script Editor'.
Copy the next lines of code and then paste them into 'Script Editor'.

set x to 0
repeat
if ((do shell script ("diskutil mountDisk /dev/disk" & (x as string))) is not equal to "") then exit repeat
set x to x + 1
end repeat

Click on the 'Run' button of 'Script Editor'.
Within 30 seconds any mountable device will be mounted.

Only one microprocessor recognized:
goffysk8er said:
and another thing is that the mac G4 doesnt reconize that i have 2 processors, I have no idea where to start when it come to that.
How about specific information as to how you determined that only one microprocess is actually working.

One quick way to determine if both processors are indeed ON, is to go to 'System Preferences' and click on 'Hardware'. The 'Dual CPU' radio button should be selected. If not, click on it, and quit 'System Preferences'.

Another way to verify that both processors are ON, is to download and install 'MenuMeters' [a 'System Preferences' Utility. Get it at '<http://www.versiontracker.com>'].
Once installed, go to 'System Preferences' and click on 'MenuMeters'.
Click on the 'CPU' tab, click on the 'Display CPU Menu Meter' check box (to add a check mark), and then select 'Percentage' from the nearby popup menu. In the upper right portion of the menu bar will be two values (if both processors are indeed ON) ; otherwise, only one (confirming your statement, of only a single processor working).

I tried the script editing for the firewire device and it didnt do anything, I just tried it again to make sure...And for the cpu in the system preferences there is no dual cpu radio, and for the menumeters theres only one percentage that shows up. so im wondering if the secong cpu lost a connection (wiring or something) Thanks for your reply, sorry that it didnt work. hope you have something that could help, brent...

Looks like it might be time to take it in for service. With what you have been saying the outlook for your machine doesn't seem to good.

Back