Firmware not loading properly

daleslad

Registered
There was a recent (EFI Firmware update v1.1) for Bootcamp which I have tried to load but I'm not having any luck.
The instructions for loading it are pretty straightforward but it's not working for me. I shut down my computer then hold the power buttin until the light starts to flash and then let go. The firmware is supposed to load but I get a glimse of the status loading bar and then the computer shuts down and then starts up again but it is still showing the loading instructions which means it didn't load.
I've checked on the Apple site and it is happening to others.
MacFixit has the following information on it's site but when I get to the Security menu the only item that isn't dimmed is the Authenticate one. The other two the Change Root Password and Enable Root User are dimmed.:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
MacFixit:
Potential fix: login as root user In some cases, this issue can be resolved by enabling the root user (if you haven't already) and installing the update from within that account.

To enable the root account, use the following process:

Make sure you are logged in as an administrator
Launch NetInfo Manager, located in /Applications/Utilities folder
In the "Security" menu, select "Enable root user," after which you should be prompted for your administrator password.
After enabling the root account, logout of your current account. At the login prompt, select "Other..." then enter "root" as the user name and the password you set for the account.

Once logged into the root account, re-attempt running the firmware update. Once completed, logout of the root user account and back into your normal account.

You may want to launch NetInfo Manager again and re-disable the root user account (again, via the "Security" menu) when finished due to security considerations.
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other suggestions that I might try to get this loaded I'd love to hear them,
Thanks
Jim

the info about enabling the root user is not quite complete. The Authenticate menu item is not greyed out, because you have to authenticate first. Then Enable Root User will be available. You can also click on the padlock icon in the bottom left corner of the Netinfo window to unlock, or authenticate.

Make sure that you do not have any other hardware attached to your Mac. Disconnect everything on a laptop, except the power adapter.
Disconnect all except the keyboard on other Macs.

Once you are done, be sure to go back to Netinfo, and disable the root user.

Back