First open box

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a normal alert box that you should get the first time you open an app that you have downloaded, and added to your system.
It's something that you should expect to see - the first time.
Click the OK box, because you know where the app came from, and you can assume that it is "safe" (correct?)

Do you get the same message when opening another app, even though you are certain that you have already opened that same app before?

Thanks for your post but it is not the box you always get when first open an app. It happens again and again but not every time. The box you are referring to does not have the word "application" in it. I do get the same message with other apps but with the name of the app in it. It has been happening for a while on and off.

That's a normal alert box that you should get the first time you open an app that you have downloaded, and added to your system.
It's something that you should expect to see - the first time.
Click the OK box, because you know where the app came from, and you can assume that it is "safe" (correct?)

Do you get the same message when opening another app, even though you are certain that you have already opened that same app before?

OK
Keep in mind that you WILL see that dialog box for each app the first time that you launch a particular app.
First time, then you shouldn't see it again, at least for that app.
Also, reading on in that same thread:
The warnings should pop up once for each application again after that, then be gone for good. If they keep coming, something is resetting the database on its own (a clue would be that the default browser / mail app / RSS app / FTP app you set keep resetting to the Apple provided ones).
I would try that same terminal command again.
You should also be sure to try it while booted in Safe Boot mode, and then restart your Mac immediately after the command runs.

Assuming there's some small glitch in the system, if the command doesn't help - try downloading and reinstalling your current OS X combined updater.

Great!
try this:
Change your default web browser, in Safari preferences. You could make Firefox the default, or some other browser that you may only use occasionally. (I have around 10 that I use, some rarely)
The original default should be Safari, so change it to anything else.
Next time you get that "first open" dialog, and you KNOW that you have already launched that same app - check in Safari to see if the default browser also reset to original default (which again, would be Safari)
The reason is that the same system database is used for both purposes, and you may have some other app that is corrupting that database - and you end up with a reset of those. One result would be the repeat of the "first open" box, and another would be the reset of apps to system defaults. The browser default is just a quick test, and easy to find.
Let me know what you find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back