Fixes on next PB G4?

DanTekGeek

MacTechGeek
Hey all,
What fixes do you think apple will introduce with the rumored new PB G4 to be released at MWSF? Hinge fixes? Keyboard fixes? Stuff like that. Considering this will most likley be the final rev of the G4 PB, do you think it will iron out most of the problems that came up with the origonal rev?

i'm pretty sure the current models are quite free of problems. I have not seen many complaints about them at all. the rev a alum. and even the rev b had issues and it mainly seemed to be the 15". the current 15 is very good though from what I understand.

DanTekGeek said:
eek! im planning on getting a 15"! what problems would those be?

the current model and i'm sure new ones won't have the issue but a very big handful of the rev a and b 15" had major screen issues. often the specific issue was brightness going all messed up. no worries now though.

Seeing as how there's likely to be a fairly long wait till G5 PBs come out, I think Apple may add a few new "peripheral" things to try them out, because just a straight speed bump would be too much of a let down.

Some combination of:

• 802.11n ?
  • Optical audio out ?
  • Backlit keyboard on the 12" ?
  • Faster superdrives ?
  • Another FW 400 port ?
  • Better battery life ?

Kap

I second that. A better video card then the fx5200 in the current line of Powerbooks would be very welcome. Aside from that, making 7.2K RPM drives standard, bumping up the standard RAM, and making superdrives standard on all Powerbooks.

That should give the Powerbook's back their "Power" status when compared to the iBooks.

I doubt it will be the x800 that will be in the PowerBooks considering apples complete lack of ...well...competence at putting half decent graphics cards in there machines. More like a 5600xt mobility or something.

However I agree that a graphics card update will almost be certainly be in the line-up.

Pippin said:
I doubt it will be the x800 that will be in the PowerBooks considering apples complete lack of ...well...competence at putting half decent graphics cards in there machines. More like a 5600xt mobility or something.

However I agree that a graphics card update will almost be certainly be in the line-up.
when apple introduced the 128mb radeon 9700 mobility, it was the state of the art. I don't agree that apple uses decent graphic cards in their machines. I think you refer to the current and old iMacs. Well, you should understand the meaning of "power". A gamer is understood as a power-user in terms of expected performance. The graphic cards of the iMac and ibook will suit very well to what non-gamers are up with.
Either the next G4 powerbook update will have the radeon 9800 or the x800. But the G5 powerbook should very surely have at least the x300 / x800.

The 15" Aluminum Powerbook still has some issues with the screens. Lurk around on Apple's Support Discussion boards and you will see quite a few people who were bitten with this defect. Problems range from blatant white spots on the screen, to serious uneven illumination. I had both issues with my 15" Powerbook. After 3 trips to the Apple repair depot, along with a logic board replacement, I decided to unload it and buy a 17" Powerbook. So far, no issues with it.

serpicolugnut said:
The 15" Aluminum Powerbook still has some issues with the screens. Lurk around on Apple's Support Discussion boards and you will see quite a few people who were bitten with this defect. Problems range from blatant white spots on the screen, to serious uneven illumination. I had both issues with my 15" Powerbook. After 3 trips to the Apple repair depot, along with a logic board replacement, I decided to unload it and buy a 17" Powerbook. So far, no issues with it.

its odd how just the one model has issues. I know a guy with a rev a 12" and its always been tip top.

I would say at least a much longer battery life. Also, I did read something about IBM's or Moto's lower consumption chips that are slightly faster than the current models.

Back