Flash iPod confirmed

Does anyone have an idea of how much it will be ? i think apple should at least make it less than 200 (aud currency)..

The article says it will retail below $200 US. If you take that to mean $199 US like I do, then it'll probably retail for whatever the current conversion rate is plus 5% to 10% or so for countries other than the US.

I'll believe it when I see it, though. Never has Steve Jobs said he's against something and then turned around and endorsed it soon afterward.

65% of all portable MP3 players, including hard drive-based and flash memory-based isn't bad at all, and hardly warrants a need to push into the solid-state arena.

It is an MP3 player that uses Flash memory which is a solid state memory stick like a video game memory card

So can you pop your digital camera flash card in and view the pictures on it?

This might be the killer app for photographers.

No. iPod Photo is the high end iPod, the flash iPod (if it exists) will be the low end iPod. Nothing fancy like swapping memory cards and displaying photos...this is Apple we're talking about.

smithy said:
Does anyone have an idea of how much it will be ? i think apple should at least make it less than 200 (aud currency)..
That's about a fiver in our money then? :) Just kidding

An Apple flash player would have to be cheap enough to compete but I'd also expect a premium over the ubiquitous generic ones. After all the R+D and production costs will be higher.

I really hope this is one of those rumours that doesn't pan out.

I hate solid-state MP3 players, and would NEVER spend much money on one.

There's just no weight in them - no sense of quality. It feels like you're holding just plastic. It's pathetic - you don't value the things, and thus feel ripped off.

Cameras can sustain solid-state so well because they're heavy devices with the solid-state memory inside. MP3 players feel hollow and worthless.

It's not going to reflect well on Apple. I just hope if they do it, they don't make it look anything like the iPod (so that the iPod retains its relative worth in the mp3-player market).

Agreed. Unless they have something in store that we're not thinking about, the flashPod would be a huge mistake.

Now, if they put Flash, the software, on an iPod, that might be cool...

Erh... 'confirmed'? ;) That usually means that 'yet another source' has repeated a rumour. Actually, _on_ AppleInsider's forums, it's kind of a practical joke among members to add a 'confirmed' to a rumour to show - ironically - that a rumour isn't worth the bits used to display it.

On the other hand: I guess it'd be a good idea. Sadly, I think Apple will not be able to really price it competitively.

Apple is going to have to play this one carefully. They don't want to cannibalize their iPods sales, but clearly there is a substantial (and cheaper) Flash player market that needs to be addressed. And it will only grow.

Yes, today's solid state memory may only hover around one gig, but that won't last. It will keep climbing as we all know. Even at one gig, that's what, a few hundred songs? That is plenty for any typical need. No, it's not good to archive your whole library, but it's sure enough to get you through a workout, a long drive, or weeks of general listening. And for anyone not convinced, just look at the iPod mini. Clearly there is a huge audience of people who don't feel the need to put every song they own on their iPod. (Or the audience doesn't have a lot of songs. Either way, the point remains the same.)

Speaking of working out, that's where the current iPods just don't cut it. There is a substantial market for (myself included) people that want a more durable "iPod". Presumably a Flash player would be just that.

Now the price point is always the sticking point with Apple. They need to build them and price them to have perceived quality and value. Apple customers don't just want a "flash player", they want the best flash player. Apple can get away with selling them at somewhat of a premium, just like they do for everything else they sell. Effectively, they will concede the low end market to the multitude of other sources.

In summary, I think a flash ipod makes total sense and would fill a market demand which exists that Apple does not have a product for.

I know sandisk just came out with a 4 and 8GB disk and I think a 16GB pc card. Have no clue what the price will be but 1GB to 2GB should be available for under 200. I would love to see a completley see through clear crystal acrylic ipod with some chrome or black onyx accents.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I'll believe it when I see it, though. Never has Steve Jobs said he's against something and then turned around and endorsed it soon afterward.
I don't believe Steve Jobs has ever said he's against flash players per se.

What he said was:

• They tend to have a bad user interface
  • They don't have enough capacity (need an absolute minimum of 256 Mb to be useful at all)
Assuming that Apple releases a flash player with a decent user interface and reasonable capacity (i.e. 1 Gb), it'll be totally consistent with what he's been saying.

Kap

P.S. I just hope this flash player also has the ability to play Audible books, like the rest of the line

Back