Flashed ATI PC Cards?

Yes, I successfully flashed a radeon 8500 from newegg. Had to use the firmware restore before flashing the update, but it works great.:D

i would like to know about this as well, as im looking to upgrade my video card further for jaguar :)

Which radeon 8500 did you get?

Here are the steps I used (gleaned from MacNN & xlr8yourmac forums):

1. Bought PC 8500 Radeon card from Newegg.com rated at 275/275 for $109.
2. Booted into OS9.2
3. Installed Firmware RESTORE (from ATI firmware downloaded)into startup folder.
4. Shut down. Removed original ATI card, installed Radeon 8500.
5. Restarted leaving CRT unconnected, waited 5 min, shut down.
6. Replaced Radeon with original card. Restarted, replaced the FIRMWARE RESTORE with Firmware UPDATE. Shut down.
7. Reinstalled the Radeon 8500. Restarted. Waited 5 min. Shut down.
8. Reconnected the CRT. Restarted and reset the PRAM (Waited for 5-6 chimes ... lost count{sheepish grin})
9. Installed the drivers in OS9. Booted into OSX Installed he drivers and everything is working great. :D

Could you please give a link to the exact files you used so i can do it as best as i can. I am not too good at doing stuff like this.

Ok wlescall number 3 said
"Installed Firmware RESTORE (from ATI firmware downloaded)into startup folder"

Under what os do you do this, and what do you mean install into start up folder? Was the firmware restpre what i just downloaded for the link you gave?

Number 6 said
"Replaced Radeon with original card. Restarted, replaced the FIRMWARE RESTORE with Firmware UPDATE. Shut down."

Do i have to dl Firmware restore and firmware update?

Ok last one number 9 said
"Installed the drivers in OS9. Booted into OSX Installed he drivers and everything is working great. "

When you installed the os 9 and 10 drivers did you dl them from the ati web site or something or did you get it with the cd that came with the video card.

Sorry if these are stupid its just that i would do nothing to hurt my g4.

Under what os do you do this, and what do you mean install into start up folder?

OS 9.2.2 Startup items folder. OS9 automatically launches anything in this folder.

Was the firmware restpre what i just downloaded for the link you gave?

Yes.

Do i have to dl Firmware restore and firmware update?

Yes, it was all part of the same package dl'd from the above link.

When you installed the os 9 and 10 drivers did you dl them from the ati web site or something or did you get it with the cd that came with the video card.

I dl'd the newest drivers from the ATI's web site.

I hope this answers your questions.

Hey wlescall under what version of os x where u runing? I hope the 8500 dont have the same prob the geforce2 mx has not being able to pass 10.1.3

ok say if this doesnt work, will i be able to reflash the card and stick it in my pc at the very least?

wlescall is yours the OEM or LE version. Do i have to get 1 of those 2? What do they mean
I bought the OEM 275MHz/275MHz from newegg.com for $109 w/free shipping.
ok say if this doesnt work, will i be able to reflash the card and stick it in my pc at the very least?
I'm not very well acquainted with the dark side. I've been a Mac User since about 1986.:)

well i am gonna try it pretty soon, just need the money

dunno why im doing this, i have a radeon 7500 currently... wonder if the 8500 works for mac if i can do the 7500 to work on the pc... hmmmm

wlescall,

Any luck with Jaguar? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested to know whether the hardware works or not...

Cheers.

Originally posted by wlescall
I'm using 10.1.4 without any difficulties. I'm now waiting for Jaguar.

I just found on xlryourmac's forums the following URL link to all the 8500 firmware files. Read xlryourmac or MacNN's forums on the 8500 flashing.

http://dfalling.dyndns.org:8081/misc.html

Back