Flashed ATI PC Cards?

Originally posted by BuddahBobb
ok say if this doesnt work, will i be able to reflash the card and stick it in my pc at the very least?

Unfortunately, if you hose the ROM the card is trashed as well.

I believe you MIGHT be able to reflash the rom if you have a PC an extra Video card to boot off of (PCI) and a Motherboard that will support using the PCI card as the primary card and the AGP as secondary.

If you get a card that is known to work, the odds of toasting the ROM is pretty small. You just need to follow the directions properly and make sure you know what card you have. As long as the card you have is made by ATI you really shouldn't have any problem. Most of the issue folks have now is using cards using the 8500 chipset but not actually manufactured by ATI. The other thing to watch out for is to make sure the ROM you use is set to the right speed, on a LE card, you should use the 230/230 one, on the retail the 250/270 one. But you can figure that out pretty easy by the model number, or by sticking it into a PC.

And yeah, my flashed 8500 LE works great in Jag.

Brian

Would this also work with a PCI Radeon 7000 Retail? My B&W Tower doesn't have an AGP slot so this is the best card I can get, but the cheapest I can find the Mac verison is $99.99 and the PC one is only $51.00 at newegg.com
Would it work to flash the ROM on it like you did with your AGP card?

No one to my knowledge has been able to flash a 7000. Not even sure if the 7000 has a flashable BIOS on it.

Brian

Originally posted by wlescall

5. Restarted leaving CRT unconnected, waited 5 min, shut down.
6. Replaced Radeon with original card. Restarted, replaced the FIRMWARE RESTORE with Firmware UPDATE. Shut down.

If under OS 9 the startup folder automartically launches whatever's in there at boot, then in step 6 wouldn't replacing the original card and rebooting do a FIRMWARE RESTORE to your original ATI board. You haven't the FIRMWARE RESTORE.

I'm about to order a PC 8500 card to flash for use in my G4. I want to know first though, does flashing the PC card with the Mac firmware work for all different variants of the 8500? I want to get the 128MB DDR RAM(all in wonder?) one, but not if my Mac won't see all the RAM.

Back