Flashing Orange light and Crashing

Notthesameme

Registered
Hi,
My girlfriend is having a problem with her macbook and I can't seem to find a solution on any forum I look at. The light on her Magsafe is flashing orange when it is plugged in, there is no battery indicator on the menubar, and the mac is crashing before she can even get past the log in screen most of the time.

Her Macbook, I believe, is the last model of the 13.3 Macbook from 2010. She is at work right now and I am trying to help her fix it over the phone. So far I have had her try to reset both the SMC and the PRAM, which I read might be helpful here and here.

Like I said she is at work so I can't be 100% sure that she did both of those correctly but neither helped. Another thing I read is that taking the battery out might be helpful, but since it is an internal battery that is going to be a little work.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Or do you have any ideas on how I might fix this problem? Thanks for the help.

I would recheck the SMC reset:
Shut the MacBook OFF, and make sure the power adapter is attached to a working power outlet, and plugged into the MacBook.(Use the keys on the left side of the keyboard for this reset.) On the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option along with the power button once.
Note: When the LED on the MagSafe connector is orange, resetting the SMC will change it to green for a few seconds, indicating that SMC was correctly reset.

If the MacSafe connector never changes to green, but simply continues to flash orange, then there's a fault in the charging circuit somewhere, and very likely the adapter has failed. Try to verify the power adapter by plugging in to a different MacBook. If the connector light flashes on a different MacBook, then the adapter is likely failed.
Also, try another power adapter, hopefully one that you know is good, on your MacBook.
If you get a good (non-flashing) light, then you can still believe that the old power adapter has failed.
If you can't verify the power adapter, and resets don't make any difference, then carry the MacBook to an Apple auth service provider, or a genius bar, where they can try swapping out the battery pretty easily.

Back