Flat screen iMac

I would like to just introduce a couple benefits of LCD's:

1) They consume FAR LESS power. In the long run, you could save a lot of monet.

2) MUCH less space.

3) Cost is coming down, so the price hike won't be as high as expected, and I wouldn't be surprised if the base-LCD iMac remains at $999. Also, Apple will probably leave a CRT-iMac in the $699 range, as a stripped-down version like they did before. That way they will REALLY have an inexpensive Mac.

4) LCDs are increasing in color fidelity, and especially with Apple's studio displays, you can start viewing it at more angles.. I usually see no difference in color when looked at directly from the side... it's only from the top and bottom where the colors change dramatically.

Even though 3 and 4 weren't really benefits, I would just like to point them out. CRTs ARE less expensive and have better color fidelity, but the gap is closing, and I think it's close enough to change to LCDs permanently, as the iMacs are the only thing left that are CRT based in Apple's product lineup.

Perhaps, in a few years?

If we want to talk about iMacs here's my two cents...CTR monitors for the next year, processer the new G5.
about the new G5's, I can't wait till January, anyone know how "real" this rumor is? If G5's are a 10 pipeline with 1.6Ghz and NO ALTI-VEC, then I expect these processers to be on consumer intensive purchases, like iMacs...and not on PowerMacs.

However they probably will have A.-V. technology and will be on PowerMacs.

by the way, I really like this rendition of an iMac and I really hope that it happens, but if this "would-be" the new iMacs even in a year, the price would be too high for current iMac buyers. This reminds me more of the Cube, I love the cube and this might be the 'REAL' step between iMac and PowerMac! The price has to be right for this to work, but I think it can! I'll be honest if this is the new 'CUBE', an high-end iMac then my office would be filled with them! And all my junior business partners would have them too...in MY office.

Motorola officialy released the specs of the G5, complete with Altivec, 64 bit architecture, the new, high frontside bus (somewhere around 233 MHZ IIRC) and the megahertz counts. They produced first, stable version of the new chip. Apple commented that they will a special bus-pipeline from AMD and said first G5s SHOULD ship in february.

Don't forget, the G5 was planned to be ready mid this year, so yes, I am sure we will see G5s early next year...maybe paired with the rumoured release of the native 64 bit 10.2...

;)

Aaaaah the joys of computing :D
At least when I got my G3 I made sure to buy a high end mac so it would not bite the dust as soon as my performa did.

My father was el cheapo and would not buy me the 601 PPC pizzabox which had a PC emulation card in it too.. it was only $300 more than my performa! lol :p

Anyway... next time I buy a mac the G6s will be out with 128bit architecture and altivec 4 which is gonna toast Intels :p

Admiral

people have been talking about an lcd imac for over a year. All in all, I think apple came through pretty well with this one. I could care less about the iMac though. I only care about what it means for my next machine... if 800Mhz G4 is consumer, what's the pro gonna be to replace my current machine???

Back