Font Management

torres

unTitled 1
I’m looking to buy a font management tool because I just have too many fonts to have active at once.

I’m trying to decide whether to get SuitCase or Font Reserver. Can anyone let me know what their experiences have been with these apps, or if you know of another better utility that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Suitcase is not only slow but crashy.
Font Reserve is a fine piece of software, though I prefer Font Agent from Insider Software because it's the lighter of them all, and because it features interesting anti-corruption tools.

Under OS9, I'd stick to ATM/ATR. Under X I'd use FontAgent.

toast said:
Suitcase is not only slow but crashy.
Font Reserve is a fine piece of software, though I prefer Font Agent from Insider Software because it's the lighter of them all, and because it features interesting anti-corruption tools.

Under OS9, I'd stick to ATM/ATR. Under X I'd use FontAgent.

I just purchased FontAgent to use along with Quark 6 and it does not work with some fonts. For example When trying to print a Quark doc containing the font helvetica it will not print at all. Printing in other applications using FontAgent for activation works fine but with Quark 6 it sucks. Insidersoftware is aware of the problem and are still working on a solution.

--
"Just because an idea is stupid doesn't mean it won't work."
- Don Knotts as Mr. Furly on Three's Company

Has anyone played around with the Font App in the final release of Panther? I tried the first beta version and I was really disappointed. I did throw a lot of fonts at it... maybe around 1000, but if it can't handle that then it's not really of any use to me. I'm hoping that it was just a beta issue.

My copy of Panther should arrive by Friday but if anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it.

Hehe... see this thread:

http://macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38029

Due to some minor incompatibilities with Suitcase X1, I'm using FontBook (the one included with 10.3) for the time being. It's dog slow since I'm using about 1,500 fonts, but it works... it's just really slow launching and really slow activating multiple fonts. For the casual user with 50-100 fonts, it should be just fine. Be wary, though, before you add any fonts, check the preferences for the "Always copy fonts when adding" option -- otherwise, it'll MOVE your fonts from whatever folder into the /Users/(username)/Library/Fonts folder, and your previous organization will be screwed.

I would highly recommend Suitcase when they update it for 10.3.

Back