Font/off

senzo

Registered
I want to disable the arabic letters of "Lucida Grande".

Then, one font doesn't work. It's in the fontlist of TextEdit but wont work.

h_E L,p _. Me = pL,eA:s E e ! !

The Arabic letters of Lucida Grande? As in the font that makes up the characters in your menus, etc.? What for?

If you want to use a different language, install the package from your OS X install CD. Then change it in your System Preferences (should be the International pane, or similar—I forget).

No no...Lucida Grande contains the ugliest arabic letters ever known to man kind. THESE I want to disable.

Then, another font called "Diwani Letter" doesn't work at all. It appears in the font list, but TextEdit wont apply it when typing. :(

Arabic as in Mohammed the Prophet Arabic? As in Iraqi, Saudi Arabi, Afghani Arabic? You need a language pack. You can use Pacifist to install it without having to reinstall your whole system.

I have no languages other than English installed on my system, yet I just select the Arabic keyboard layout in the International pref pane, and I can type in Arabic (and see the Arabic letters in Lucida Grande) I have no knowledge about the quality of the Arabic characters in Lucida Grande. Are there other fonts in the system that also have Arabic characters? You may need to download better Arabic dfont files. Can you see Diwani Letter font listed in the Key Caps utility? Can you type any characters with that font selected in Key Caps?

I can see the newly installed font "Diwani Letter" in the font list.

So, let's say I change the input menu to Arabic and type something in TextEdit. The text appears in the ugly Arabic-Lucida Grande (Lucida Grande includes about every language there is). As I try to change that by selecting all of my text and choose Diwani Letter form the font menu, some other (japanese, I think) font gets highlighted but the text remains Lucida Grande.

I can scan the font in Key Caps if the input menu's NOT arabic. When being in arabic mode on the other hand - I can only see ArabLucida Grande.

My friend is also on the same OS (Jaguar) but doesn't have the same issue with this font (and other arabic ones, can't bring all of them up).

I would guess that the Diwani Letter font is not a usable font in OS X. Can your friend, who I assume also is running OS X, use this Diwani Letter font?

Yes, he can.
Me - on the other hand - I can view the font in key kaps (when NOT being in arabic mode), I can view it in FontLab and in Font Reserve it looks like this:

Attachments

• picture 1.pdf
    42.3 KB · Views: 1
Back