Font Vanished!

Sogni

*gone*
I was creating graphics in photoshop yesterday, I then left for a few hours, came back and went to edit the text in the graphic - and Photoshop warned about missing font / font substitution! Wha??? It was there earlier!!! :confused:

Anyway, can someone help me? I need to font Techno. Should be a default OSX Font I think.

Thanks in advanced.

I don't think thats default in X, it is in Mac OS 9, I have it if you want it. Where should i send it? Did anything happened to your OS9 partition or OS9 system folder? Do you use font management programs?

OS9? Really? Wow, that's weird!
Do OS9 fonts work the same as OSX fonts?

If so - I have OS9 installed on a rescue drive so I can grab it from there...

Thanks

Well they load up automatically for me with Font Reserve. OS X reads both True Type and postscript fonts(Mac OS 9 and earlier).

There's no such thing as an "OS 9" font and an "OS X" font. There are just different kinds of fonts. TrueType, OpenType, Type 1, Type 2, Multiple Master, etc...

I use Type 1 fonts, like Adobe ships with its Font Folio library, and they work fine in OS 9 and X.

Techno exists in OS 9. You can probably grab it from there.

Did you leave Photoshop open and everything untouched between leaving and returning?

El Diablo, I see... I just thought that OS9 used one kind, and OSX only liked another kind. My mistake. Grabbed it from the OS9/Rescue Drive and it works fine now! :)

arden : You know, I don't recall if I left everything open - or if I quit (maybe even shut down the Mac or put it to sleep). :p

But that's still crazy! I didn't install or remove anything! Wonder if it was reading it from the OS9/Rescue drive before and now for some reason it wasn't.

Are there any more fonts in OS9 that are not on OSX that are worth a look?

Originally posted by Sogni
Are there any more fonts in OS9 that are not on OSX that are worth a look?
Are there pretty girls in the world? :)

OS X can read fonts compatible with OS 9, but not the other way around. OS X uses OpenType fonts (as well as other types), which are not compatible with OS 9.

Are there pretty girls in the world? Well, yeah - but I just want the ones that are worth my time 'n effort! ;) :D

How can I look at a font without actually installing it (or paying for software to do so)? I couldn't see Techno by simply double-clicking it.

I'll take a look when I get home.

Oh great.. I don't want to go through all the ones in OS9 now you give me a site that has 1001 fonts to go through??? ARGH! :p :D

*Grumbles as he starts browsing the site* :)

(thanks, ran into that site earlier but didn't pay much attention to it as they didnt have the exact font I needed. But will look throgh it now. :)

Dangit Arden! What have you done to me??? That site's fregging awesome!

Ok, NOW I really need a font viewer/manager... this can get out of control reall quick! :D

Can anyone recomend some viewers/managers? I'd like to keep cost to a minimum but I'd like to at least be able to print lists of fonts.

Font Book will be great in Panther -- FINALLY, a Mac OS with built-in font management!

I use and recommend Extensis Suitcase -- it auto-activates fonts for Illustrator and Quark, plus it previews them as well without activating them.

I've heard FontReserve is decent as well.

Just remember, with Font Book, Apple is not making it fully-featured because they want to keep the big boys in play. So if you need advanced font management, Font Book automatically isn't for you, but if you just need the basics, you don't have to shell out oodles of money for something more than you need.

Back