For those of you waiting for an iTMS outside of the US...

mi5moav said:
....going after population centers. America 280 million, Germany 90 million, France 80 million, England 50 million, Canada 35 million, rest of EU 300 million... I was somewhat surprised that they didn't have a separate Spanish store though...

Yes ENGLAND may have a population of 50 Million but it was a UK store that apple released so thats 50 million in ENGLAND 5 million in Scotland 3 million in wales and just over 1.5 million in N Ireland! so thats ... nealry 60 million... but I dont think that apple is just targeting population... beacuse there would be no point in targeting a coutry where say there are 100million people but only 1% of them buy music! the UK Germany and France make up almost 22% of world music market! so thats why apple is targeting them!

anyway back to my original rant - its a UK store not an england store! (incase you hadnt realised the rest of the UK generaly doesnt like being called England or "english" :mad: (take the recent violence involving ENGLAND fans in portugal for instance, many news reports call them BRITISH fans! god, scotland isnt even in the competitoin!) anyway atleast you didnt say that England had a population of 60m and include the rest of us in with it.

Well, isn't it also legal in Canada to download music via the same methods that are illegal here because of a tax they use? I mean, if it's legal to download for free, I'd think there wouldn't be much motivation for people to pay for their music if Apple pushed for a Canadian music store.

If population centers were being targeted, India and China would be the first up. Most likely, it has to do with making money and ease of getting copyright agreements (the less byzantine the better).

In Canada, it is not illegal to download songs, however it is illegal to upload songs. There is a CPCC Blank Media tariff certain medias(CD-R, iPods,...etc). For example, I bought a 20GB iPod before the store implemented the levy. The levy for anything greater than 10GB is $25 Cdn.

someone can correct me if I am wrong....

Ricky said:
Well, isn't it also legal in Canada to download music via the same methods that are illegal here because of a tax they use? I mean, if it's legal to download for free, I'd think there wouldn't be much motivation for people to pay for their music if Apple pushed for a Canadian music store.

Switzerland has similar rules, nevertheless I would like to have access to iTMS to chose my music and buy it. Quality and choice has its price and value.

So here we are the end of November with supposedly Apple offering the ITMS in Canada this month, oh no what's that you say.Did I not hear Steve say Canada would be added by November.He said these words at the event with U2 .Just another missed deadline I guess :(

markceltic said:
So here we are the end of November with supposedly Apple offering the ITMS in Canada this month, oh no what's that you say.Did I not hear Steve say Canada would be added by November.He said these words at the event with U2 .Just another missed deadline I guess :(

"We said that we would launch the iTunes Music Store in Canada by the end of November, but we're going to miss this deadline by a bit," Apple said in the statement given to MacCentral. "You'll hear from us very soon."

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/12/01/cdnmusic/index.php

mdnky said:
Do they try to impose that on items acquired off E-Bay by chance?

Oh yeah, you bet. NEVER order something from the US by UPS. Not only do you get shafted by paying taxes but you also have to pay a brokerage fee of 20% or some garbage.

FedEx sometimes just leaves the package on your door and you don't have to pay the tax. Although they say you are supposed to, but you can ignore them.

A little late in that response, eh? :)

Sounds like Canadian residents are getting raped.

Back