Force delete a file on a NAS share

mala

Registered
Hi,

I've tried to make a backup with Apple Backup to a NAS drive, but it fails with the "computing checksum message" (yes, I know NAS drives aren't really supported with Backup). Now I have an uncompleted backup file on the NAS at 160GB that I need to get rid of, but when I try to move it it to the trash in Finder I get a message telling me that it can't be done due to an unexpected error, (error code −8072).
How can I force delete this file?

Thanks...

/Mans

Apple Backup? Do you mean time machine or are you using rsync or are you using any of the many third party programs for OS X?

No, I've use Apple Backup, but that's not really the point as it doesn't work properly and I intend to drop it. But Now I have an uncompleted rather big backup file I want to get rid of...

/Mans

That is a third party program!

Do you feel comfortable with the Terminal application?

If you are open up /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and type in the command
Code:
 rm -rf
and hit the space bar, then drag the file from the mounted NAS to the Terminal window and drop it. This ten should create a path to the file to delete only that file. WARNING: This is powerful so make sure you only delete the file, not the whole share.

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't really get you here.....Apple Backup is made by Apple, how can it be a 3rd party? And my problem isn't to get rid of the application itself, but rather to delete one of the backup files it has created on the NAS drive. It seems to be locked, used or something and I can't delete it from Finder.

/Mans

There is no program called Apple Backup!!! The only Apple program is called Time Machine and their MobileMe program called Backup.

Ok, my mistake...it's called Backup and made by Apple, not Apple Backup. But no matter who made this program, the problem persists, it has created a file I can't get rid of. Now, how do I do that?

/Mans

It's available with a MobileMe (formerly .Mac) account as optional software. I can't understand why Apple hasn't buried this corpse. Don't touch it. Use TimeMachine.

Ok, my mistake...it's called Backup and made by Apple, not Apple Backup. But no matter who made this program, the problem persists, it has created a file I can't get rid of. Now, how do I do that?

/Mans

Click on the file and do a Get Info on it (command button+i) and see if it is locked and who owns the file. If it's locked uncheck the box and if the file belongs to some else's change it to your profile.

Plus in my other post use the Terminal trick I posted.

Still have locked objects in a folder on a NAS volume so I can't delete it to release space. How do I do force delete them?

/Mans

Back