Force Internal Speakers over headphones?

gab1er

Registered
A headphone jack got stuck in my macbook pro as it fell down in a plane going thru turbulences (lucky me!).
So that now it thinks there are headphones connected while there is nothing...
I wont be anywhere near an apple store for the next month so I was just wondering if it was possible to force the use of the internal speakers over the output jack?
Thanks for your help

I have a feeling that there is a mechanical switch that is moved when you push in the headphone jack. This cuts off the speakers.

So probably no way to use software to bypass it.

Not 100% sure though on a modern set, but it was like that on an old laptop I took apart for "fun".

Use SoundSource, from Rouge Amoeba Software. It's a menu extra that controls sound outputs, even when multiple (including headphones) are plugged in.

If the jack broken off in the port? Or is it just _acting_ like there is a jack in there?

If the latter, check if there is a faint red light shining out of the port.

the issue is there is no Internal Speaker in there....
Just the headphones!
I can control the sound volume of the computer (there is no red light, the optical sound is not deactivated)...
I tried using Soundsystem from Rouge, but same I cant see the Speaker anywhere.
The speakers are working as when I boot they do the Mac booting sound.
Any further help would be much much appreciated

Try plugging in your headphones, then unplugging. Do that several times. That sometimes will reset the little switch.
With the treatment that your MacBook Pro had, you may have damaged something inside that port, so it's worth trying, and hopefully you don't need to get this repaired.

Back