Forgetful battery or discharging battery?

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
Weird thing:
I come back from work on Friday, with an iPod that is fully charged.
I unplug my iTrip, I put the hold on, and I put my iPod away.
I was about to go for my Sunday walk this morning and the iPod does not turn on. This has happened many times. I just need to plug it in and recharge it.

Does my iPod forget that it is charged? or does it discharge?
My iPod is a 4G iPod that I use every weekday for two or so hours (more if I am in traffic) and it is usually plugged in to my car's power adapter.

I think that since I do not let my battery discharge completely I've screwed up its memory - just wanting to verify though :)

You should complete at least one charge cycle per month -- if you're not doing this (ie, keeping the iPod fully charged all the time) then you're shortening the battery life significantly.

One charge cycle is using up 100% of the battery (albeit not in one sitting, of course). One charge cycle could be using 25% of the battery one day, recharging, then using 50% a few days later, then recharging, then 25% and a recharge... or any combination of usages thereof.

It's not a good idea to let the battery go completely dead to where the iPod shuts off. The batteries in iPods "like" to be used, 30% here, 40% there, etc., and have "top-off" charges done in between. They always "like" to have a little charge in them.

To calibrate the battery (which is safe, but should rarely be done), use the remaining charge of a fully-charged iPod in one sitting until it shuts off automatically, then recharge it fully before powering it on again. This should make the battery indicator on the iPod (which is grossly inaccurate anyway) a little more accurate.

Back