Format option unavailable Installing Windows XP Pro SP2

rlewisshs

Registered
I'm hoping someone can help me, as this problem is making my hair fall out.

I'm installing Windows XP Pro with SP2. I have an authentic OEM XP Pro w/SP2 disk. I'm installing it on a MacBook 2.4GhZ Intel Core 2 Duo mac with 2Gb RAM. You'd think I wouldn't have problems....

Was able to use the Boot-Camp assistant to create a 48Gb partition. I inserted the disk and chose to Start Installation.

The computer whirls around for a while while it loads various Windows XP Pro files and drivers. Then I come to the screen that looks like this:

Windows XP Professional Setup
======================

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item from the list.
- To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER
- To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
- To delete the selected partition, Press D.

152626 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

E: Partition1 [unknown] 200MB
F: Partition2 [unknown] 104320 MB
C: Partition3 (BOOTCAMP) [FAT32] 47978MB

ENTER=INSTALL D=DELETE PARTITION F3=QUIT

When I select Partition C and hit ENTER, It "checks" drive C then starts copying files. It never gives me the screen that allows me to FORMAT it. For kicks and grins I let it continue, but then it restarts and comes to a black screen that says:

Press any key to boot from CD.....
DISK ERROR
Press any key to restart

Of course if you press a key to "boot from CD" The Windows Installation starts all over again, with no option to format. It doesn't respond if you wait to press a key to "restart."

Just for the heck of it I tried Option+Starting the Mac and choosing the Windows Hard drive icon. That just comes to a black screen with Disk Error. I'm guessing it's because the partition hasn't been formatted.

I'm at a loss, I've spent hours trying to figure out how to install this. Could someone please help?

I have an authentic OEM XP Pro w/SP2 disk. I'm installing it on a MacBook 2.4GhZ Intel Core 2 Duo mac with 2Gb RAM. You'd think I wouldn't have problems....

I'd actually know you will have problems with this. OEM (original equipment manufacturer) means that disk is specifically for a specific machine. You need a retail version of Windows. Its actually considered software piracy trying to use the Windows disk you are using for Bootcamp since that version is/has been installed on another machine.

Actually it has never been installed on a machine. I bought a brand new one off e-bay, still in the original shrink-wrap, with the mini-manual and un-peeled certificate sticker stuck to the back. I originally bought it just because I needed a replacement XP Pro disk for the one that I lost, but the certificate sticker is still on it, never been used or attached to any PC.

Shouldn't that disk work? Is the "Retail" version that comes in the box actually different? Maybe I just answered my own question.

If its an OEM version it won't work. You need a retail version. If the seller on ebay didn't specify which make/model of machine it was for or told you it would work on anything, they either didn't know any better or it was a scam. Sorry..

Thanks for your sharing. Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Although it pains me to have to go out and spend more money, at least I know how to fix it now.

I came across this forum by chance and discovered this is one of the best thread ever. Thanks you guys so much for the information you give. So cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although it pains me to have to go out and spend more money, at least I know how to fix it now.

Last edited:
Hold on. That's not accurate. It _IS_ legal to install an OEM version of Windows (including XP) on to any machine. You must abide by the license agreement to be legal.

Here's a good explanation: http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2007/01/8730.ars

Bot

Sure, buy it and try it! But getting it to install is a different story. Just like OEM specific OSX installers will only work on certain machines. If the EULA stated it could be used on any machine, than why will it only boot/install specific models of machines. I even had one of the extremely picky early 2006 iMacs in the shop a week or two ago and I had the exact OEM specific installers for that machine. It would not install any version of 10.4 (retail or OEM) until I had gotten the installers from the client that came with that machine. For Windows machines even if you can get an OEM to install on a machine its not intended for, it won't even boot properly half the time.

Last edited:
Of course, there's questions about 2 different forms of OEM installs here.
One, the installer that would come with a PC/Dell/HP/whatever - the OEM install provided by that manufacturer, often with Dell,etc on the label.
The other, the one referred to as a builder version, also an OEM disk, but quite generic, and tied to the hardware where it will eventually be installed. Until that install (actually when the validation code is entered, then approved), the Windows will install on any 'acceptable' system. I have installed the builder OEM version on several dozen Macs. I know, not a huge sample, but all (AFAIK) continue to work and boot properly.
I would not expect an OEM version with a Dell (etc) name on the label to work properly, if at all.
I think that's where the confusion comes from, when someone has that 'brandname' OEM, and not the generic system builder's OEM.

Deltamac is correct. I have purchased OEM retail software for many Builds and it works perfectly. Once installed however you cannot move it to another machine--in fact you usually have to call MS if you replace the motherboard. The OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. Ralph

Yes, I've used OEM Windows before. They are legal. And as DeltaMac wrote, you're probably confusing a restore disc with an OEM copy of Windows. The restore disc from, say, Dell will only work on that type of Dell machine. An OEM copy of Windows will work with any Windows-compatible machine that's up to spec.

The system discs for Mac machines *are* tied to a particular type of machine, though they are OS X installation discs, not a restore image. They can only legally be used by the machine they come with.

And RJ713 hit on the difference between OEM Windows and retail Windows: OEM cannot be transferred from machine to machine.

Bot

Back