Forwarding and Attachments

FranceyS

Registered
iMac G5 ver OSX 10.3.9

1. How can I send an attachment from my files
to a recipient so that they can open and read them?

My files send just fine, but the recipients can't open them.
a. files too large to open.
b. mail aborted, too many body parts
c. file attachment doesn't have program assoc with it to perform action.

It has been suggested that File Format of AppleWorks is what can't be read. Suggested changing File format under SAVE AS to send document. The most up-to-date File format selection is Word for Windows XP 2002. Tried that and other file format selections and attachments still cannot be read.

I can't believe that my attachments can't be read by anyone but an Apple computer. Can anyone provide a solution? Thank you.

Chances are, the problem is on the recipients end, not yours.

Try zipping the file then sending.

In addition to my Attachments being unable to be read... All Forwarded items
I send can't be read either. I have no problem receiving and reading both attachments and forwarded items, but noone can read the things I send to them, other than plain e-mail.

Mister Me: "Always Send Window Friendly Attachments" had already been selected.
No problem there.

Bobw: What is the procedure for zipping the file, please?

Please note that two of the recipients have fairly new computers and other
people had older computers.

Any suggestions to help are appreciated.

Bob: Can you be more explicit.
I don't have a right-click on my Mac Mouse.
I need step by step instructions since I've never done that before. Thanks.

I put (right click) in case you had a two button mouse. Otherwise, Control (key) click.

I am in the process of forwarding a message.
I address it.
I Control Click the e-mail. And no Archive indications are shown. It's obvious that is the wrong place to double click. I'm just guessing since I don't know where
or what I should Control Click?
Can you be a little more descriptive. I don't have the experience you have.
I need directions, please. Thanks Francey

No, you need to archive the actual file in the Finder. Find the file that you would like to attach in the Finder, then control-click the file itself. Choose "Create Archive." You should now have the original file, and a file with the same name with ".zip" at the end.

Compose new mail message. When attaching the file, choose the file with the .zip extension.

You would Control click on the ATTACHMENT to create a zipped file, before attaching it.

I followed the directions and zipped the file easily, and sent it off to a friend with a fairly new laptop. This is what she received:
Quote: First a window opens entitled "Text letter". I click on an icon that is called "text letter" and another window opens entitled "Security warning"
Windows blocks files that are potentially harmful. In order to get to the file you can do the following:
Save the file
Click "start"
Click "my computer"
Navigate to the file you saved
Right click the file you saved
Click "properties"
Click "unlock"
You should only do this if you feel the file is safe or does not contain a virus. After you read the content then you should go back to the properties and restore the safety. Unquote

Seems to me a simple attachment should go through easier then that.
I'd appreciate any additional advice. Francey

The problem is not on your end, it's on your friends machine.

She has something set to block questionable attachments, either in her email client, or a spam filter.

easy solution, tell her to get a Mac :)

BTW what kind of attachment are you trying to send is it just AppleWorks files as you mention it when you started the thread or the problem is with any type of files i.e .pdf. jpg or so ?

The attachments are generally any type of file. The most recernt was a two page Appleworks file. I've also tried to send a map outline that I had scanned & filed, then sent as an attachment, but it couldn't be opened; One person tried three different computers to try to view the map I'd sent, but couldn't open it. I had to FAX it to him. I try to send letter copies, Apple works files, etc. and there is always a problem on the receiving end.

If the problem is on the receiving end, how can I instruct them on how to open the
file. The files are generally very important content and it certainly would be convenient to be able to send them through my e-mail rather than FAX.

Is there some form of freebie software that can be obtained that they can use to open this material? Thanks for the ongoing suggestions and advice. Francey

Francey

The Appleworks docs, use SaveAs and select a Word File Format and send that. It will open in Word on the PC.

The Map file, they''ll need to use an image program. IrfanView for PC's works and is free.

Thanks to the direction you've given me, I understand now where the problem is. If the recipient has an Apple computer, no problem. All Apples can open Apple files. A non-Apple owner can't open my files due to the Appleworks file system which is dissimilar to their's.
So, I must try to help them, on their PC, find out how they can open the files I've sent. A daunting task! It's easier to concentrate now on HOW I can convert MY files to a Win Word doc so all non-Apples can read them.

I am familiar with IrfanView as I had it on my old Sony 220. I didn't understand 95% of it because the directions for the simplest procedures went right over my head. I wrote to the inventor and suggested that for beginners he simplify the instructions, leaving out the excessive verbiage, and just give click this and click that to accomplish a task. He wrote back that that was an interesting concept and he would consider doing that at his next upgrade. He came across as a really nice guy, and what I did use of his program, I really liked. I would love to have taken advantage of the whole thing as a learning procedure, but the instructions, like ALL computer instructions, were so 'beyond' a beginner, it went to waste. Whether he did simplify things or not I will never know because it's not available for OSX.

Back to sending that map: Telling a novice how to use IrfanView to read the map without my being able to review the process and learn how to do it myself would be another daunting task! If reading this map with IrfanView is the only alternative, it will be easier in the long run to send the map by FAX. <smile>

I do thank you all for the input. I'm certainly wiser now than I was. And, we can close this particular inquiry. Thank you. Bye Francey

Mac users should be ablee to open an Appleworks file even if they don't have Appleworks, not all do.

MS Word will open it on a Mac when it's been saved as an Appleworks file.

Save it as an RTF or Word 97, 2000, XP when sending to a PC.

For the Map, I didn't keep the attachment after I sent it to my PC, but Ill assume you took a screenshot for the map file. If this is correct, open it with Preview and save as a .jpg, then send to a PC. Then the PC will open it with whatever app on their system set to open jpg's.

Back