Free Alternative to Virtual PC?

dedukes

Registered
Hi. I just learned I have to install Virtual PC to run a program I must use on my IBook G4 for work. Are there any freeware programs out there that do the same thing as Virtual PC?

Q is a native mac port of QEMU, which is an open source emulator, that will emulate any type of computer there is, practically. you can then set it up as a pc, and then install windows. google it.

If searching on Google, type the phrase "Q QEMU" without the quotes and it should be the first or second hit.

Don't forget that the emulator is only part of the solution. You will also have to have a copy of Windows to run your program and if you are connected to the internet you also need a Windows anti-virus application there is no protection provided by OS X for a PC emulator running Windows.

Bochs is the emulator I like to mention. There are OS X build instructions here. (chapter 3.4.7)

I've used it in the past on Linux, but it's been a while.

Peace...

I personally think VPC is one of the cheapest and certainly the best solution for the problem. Since you'll need to buy a Windows license anyway, I mean...

Back