Freecom Portable & 80 GB "shared" power...?

NielZ

Registered
I got a new 80 GB HD (5400 rpm), and since it doesn't fit in my iMac, i planned this: I got a Freecom 12x10x32x burner with FireWire. The burner itself is actually a regular PC TEAC IDE burner. So the case contains a IDE-to-FireWire converter (in dutch it's called a "printplaat", a green ding with all sorts of electronics on it, but i don't know the english word ;)).
Now i want to open the case and use a IDE & power split cable and connect ánd the burner, ánd the Harddisk (i'll lay down the disk on top of the burner - i'll make a case for it from Lego or something i think). But now the power cable must provide power for twó things, instead of one. Will this cause any problems?
(like smoke from the HD etc ;))
If anyone knows a site/manual with tips/instructions (i also don't know yet how to open the case without damage), that would be nice... :)
(Sorry for my bad english, hope you guys understand it ;))

Do you want to attach both drives through the FireWire-IDE bridge (that's probably to correct word here) Two IDE devices requires that one be jumpered to Master and the other to Slave. the Bridge in your unit may not support two devices. Also, the power supply in the case may not support power to two devices. What is the solution? First, That 80GB hard drive will fit in your iMac, by replacing the original that is already installed. If you want to ADD a second internal Hard Drive, you can't, of course... What's a good project here? Replace the CDRW in the case with your big Hard drive temporarily to transfer files from your existing drive, then swap that big HD into the iMac. Too bad it's never that simple.:D :D

Back