Freezing while going to sleep...

themacko

Barking at the moon.
No not me personally, but my Mac is. It use to happen less frequently but now it freezes just about every time I put it to sleep. I've even tried unplugging all firewire & usb devices (save keyboard and mouse, obviously). Anyone know what this could be due to?

What are some good maintenance tools for OSX? My Mac has really been acting up lately and I don't want to reinstall everything, that sucks.

See if adjusting your Energy Saver settings helps. Thusfar I haven't been able to find a preferencefile for Energy settings. If this doesn't work try resetting the pRAM an NVRAM, allthough according to Apple zapping it has no effect on any energy saving settings. Doesn't hurt tho.

If you haven't done allready, try updating to the latest version of OS X.

It doesn't say what kind of macintosh you're using, but maybe your battery is empty. Resetting the CUDA or PMU (AKB: 14449) might also help

Did you run Disk Utility allready? It's the former Disk First Aid utility. It should be run from the CD after having started up from the Mac OS X CD.

Only when your CD isn't available or it is just not possible to start up from CD is to start up your computer with holding down COMMAND - "S". this starts you up in single user mode. Be carefull though, you are now considered root user. Type in 'fsck -y'. This does the same as Disk Utility.

If all to no avail, try 'reinstalling' your MacOS X by chosing the special installation and then the second option, where all your settings are saved. After all it might be something in the software.

When all of the above didn't help, ask for a second opinion, but I would reinstall my Mac completely. Make a backup of your documents first...

Before reinstalling the OS, try running as a different user. Better yet, create a new user, login as that user, and try sleeping, and waking a few times. Your problem may just be a corrupted pref or cache file in your user prefs.

You must RESET your motherboard. That seems to have solved all my sleep issues with my week-and-a-bit old 1GHz SD TiBook.

It wasn't waking from sleep fully on a very regular basis - perhaps 3/5 sleep attempts wouldn't wake proberly - full restart required.

I've tried all normal things, new users, unplugging etc. None work except Resetting the motherboard. I've now got everything connected, every application running and it sleeps just fine and wakes up. Even the iPod comes straight back on, just like it's supposed to do!

Motherboard reset switch is sometimes at the back of a PowerBook (it's under the keybaord on this one) and on Desktop machines it's on the motherboard. Hold it down for 20 seconds at least. Then you'll just have to reset your clock - everything else in X.2.2 seems to be remembered.

Good luck

Back